Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Bubble Wrap Greenhouse

I've just bubble wrapped the greenhouse.  Now this might seem a stupid question but as I've never had a greenhouse before I hope you will forgive the ignorance.  Do you need to bubble wrap the roof or is it just the sides.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Heat rises, so wrapping the roof would be logical, but I have never wrapped my g/h, though perhaps I should.image

• ginagibbsginagibbs Posts: 756

Bubble wrap the lot, you never know how cold the winter could turn out.image

• I bubble wrap all of it, starting with the sides and then the roof, allowing for a slight lip over each piece to stop heat escaping.

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I just put bubble wrap over the side louvre vents last year. I was surprised the difference that made.

I also have a largeish plastic GH  (£10  from Wilko, being sold off) that I put up inside GH. I put bubble wrap underneath it to insulate against the cold floor.

It worked last year.

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

Thanks everyone,  Back outside then.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

I only wrap the sides things have been ok even in the really bad winter a few years ago. Haven't wrapped mine yet as far too mild, doors still open most days and only partially shut at nights. I don't wrap until we've had some degree of frost. Depends what you have in the GH image

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

KEF I havent shut the doors totally yet as dont have anything too tender in there, just dont want to be caught out by an unexpected frost.  Might leave the roof for a while and see what the forecast says a bit later on.

• Lupin 1Lupin 1 Posts: 8,916

Yvie I don't find it a long job to wrap GH. If I did it now things would damp off and also get diseased, just now they need ventilation and until it starts to get cold I won't take action. I honestly don't see point in doing the roof, even during winter we will have sun and dry days and you need to be able to open the roof windows as well as door, even if it's just to dry GH out.  

Unexpected frost image doubt it will suddenly turn bitterly cold & with harsh frosts we usually have some notice.