London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
9 messages
28/07/2013 at 11:37

Saw this, sold in the US, as a "green" bug control.   It's a jet, usually fitted to a long lance, with a circular 360 degree spray pattern.  Called the Bug Blaster, it only seems to be available in the US. 

http://www.thebugblaster.com/instructions.html

Anyone know if it's available in the UK?  If not seems to me it'd sell well!

28/07/2013 at 11:39

Just another way tokill insects that you should be encouraging richard.

28/07/2013 at 12:22
nutcutlet wrote (see)

Just another way tokill insects that you should be encouraging richard.

True 

28/07/2013 at 13:03

It looks increasingly like we are all going to make difficult choices.....whether to tolerate pest plagues or lose plants. Spraying has to be a last resort but there will be times when you accept you will lose a treasured plant.  It's a choker if you decide to allow the pest to destroy it.  

I believe nature CAN restore a balance ....often a mass of ladybirds follows an aphid infestation, for example.  However, it doesnt always work out that way.  We can help nature, ourselves and our plants by controlling pests and diseases.  We do it all the time when we visit the doctor, go to,the chemist or prevent ants entering our homes...??

A friend.....well, someone I know.....constantly does two things.  Firstly he tries to cadge for free my organic. ( and they are organic....no slug pellets, no artificial fertilisers and no pesticides) vegetables.  Secondly he "gardens for wildlife" amd constantly preaches this at me.  His garden is a mess, a tip.  He cuts nothing down and allows every weed to flourish to the annoyance of his neighbours.

So, none of should feel guilty of we want to grow our plants to look good.  No ome should feel he or she MUST avoid all chemicals because it's the "right thing to do".  I grow responsibly.  I listen to the dire warnings from those intent on saying we are destroying the planet.  At the end of the day I eat healthy home grown, non-sprayed fruit amd veg, have lovely plants in my garden and enjoy good health being in my local environment of "controlled" growing.

If I need to spray to protect a plant I will do so........I suspect most of you do the same

Wow!  Let off steam there!

28/07/2013 at 17:26

Here here Verdun, I spray when I absolutely have to to protect a plant or plants that I have invested time and money in.  On the other side I do also plant insect friendly plants to encourage bees, butterflies, ladybirds etc to combat the inevitable aphids (I do blast these off with a water jet though) and I can live with the odd slug eaten courgette.  It needs to be a balance between not upsetting the natural balance of things and protecting what you cherish.  If we kill off all the pests all the predators will also disappear.

28/07/2013 at 18:10

I've just had a look at that site, it's only a water jet with a bit more power, so no chemicals!

28/07/2013 at 19:23

Exactly, and the site says it doesn't kill the aphids just washes them off.  And as they made a right mess of my Clematis with the sticky residue they leave, and it's likely to turn into mildew if left, good riddance to them.

I don't spray with pesticides, and pick off the rose slugs (Sawfly larvae) eating lots of leaves on my roses.

I have seen very few ladybirds this year.  So they're not around to eat the aphids, which is what would have happened to them anyway.

28/07/2013 at 21:11

I will hold my hands up and apologise  - I confess I didn't look at the link. Schoolboy error. I assumed it was a killing machine!! 

Is it basically a more powerful way than using a hose with an attachment? 

I do agree that no matter how wildlife friendly and 'natural' our gardens might be or we'd like them to be, all gardens are man made so we call the shots. I rarely use weedkiller but when I do I use it appropriately. Organic as much as I possibly can be, and try to do what I can for all types of wildlife. 

29/07/2013 at 09:59

No need to apologise! 

From what I read on the website it's not a strong spray.  It's just designed to get in and spray the bugs off any surface, top or bottom in any orientation.  Needs to be used quite often, but has the advantage you're also watering the plant!

email image
9 messages