3 messages
17/01/2014 at 20:01

I've just bought a second hand 8'x4' greenhouse which I am just about to start building. Does anyone have any ideas on how to build a cheap but strong base for it, please? Many Thanks

17/01/2014 at 20:39

It depends if you want beds in the GH or are going to have a hard surface throughout. Just having beds is going to be cheaper but you'll still need a path down the middle.   

I opted for a bed down one side and hard surface on the other for a potting bench.

I used scaffolding planks to form a frame and laid flagstones on levelled builders sand. Then inside made a bed down one side with a gravel path in the middle, framed with wood and laid on weed membrane.

I enlisted the help of my brother for advice, he's a builder, so was told how to lay the flags and to ensure the surface was level. I live on a hill so needed to build the ground up on one and lower it on the other.   

17/01/2014 at 21:37

Hello , the end of last year I bought a second hand greenhouse for my allotment and what I did was to buy some 4 inch square fence posts and screwed it to them and it hasn't blown away yet , it was 8 by 6 . I did put the posts on sand so I could ensure it was level

also I layed it all on a membrane and covered it with gravel as I intend to us pots and grow bags , rather than plant direct in the soil but that's my choice 

email image
3 messages