London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
9 messages
13/04/2014 at 16:16

Hello

This winter/spring we have had a magnificent display from our anemone bulbs planted in throughs on the front south facing wall. Flowers have now died off but have left some fluffy stuff that looks like it could be seeds. Are they in fact seeds and if so can I get them to grow into bulbs for next year do you think?

Any reply wuld be most helpful

Many thanks

13/04/2014 at 17:07

What sort of anemones are they Michelle?

14/04/2014 at 07:55

Anemones de Caen!

14/04/2014 at 08:20

There will be tiny black seeds at the end of the pieces of fluff.  When the seeds are ripe the seedcase containing the seeds and fluff will begin to open - that is when you should harvest the seed - I've a feeling it's best sown immediately - Nutcutlet will know! 

14/04/2014 at 09:12

Yes I have already harvested the 'fluff' but how and in what to I plant them. I am not a gardener and have no idea of what to do. How do I get hold of nutcutlet?

Thanks for your interest

14/04/2014 at 09:17

I'm sure Nutcutlet will pop in here later today 

I presume you realise that the Anemone corms (different to bulbs, but that's a technicality)  that flowered so well for you this year will flower again next spring if you leave them in the trough, give them some feed (Fish Blood and Bone is good) and don't allow them to dry out over the summer. 

14/04/2014 at 10:12

I'm here,

You need to wait til it's totally ready to fly. Then grab it. You could put a paper bag over the head to catch it (not polythene) Sow some straight away, it might germinate very quickly when fresh. or dry and save and sow outside in autumn and it will germinate in spring. Some gritty compost in pots and cover with grit. Don't sow too early in autumn or it may still germinate quickly then you have babies to see through the winter.

It will be a year or two before you get flowers. They're corms. Corms and bulbs always take a few years to get to flowering size.

I should say that this is extrapolating from other anemones, I've never grown de caen

15/04/2014 at 07:36

Thank you so much for all the info. Will try and see what happens with the seeds. 

No point in Mother nature doing her bit and then us not picking up on it - you can get things in this life for free, the secret is knowing how!!!!

Thanks again for your help

Michele

15/04/2014 at 07:50

Good luck with those, I'm sure you'll have success

email image
9 messages