Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Buying new secauters

I need to buy some new secauters & would appreciate any advice on the best make.  Also, am wondering how much should I be prepared to pay.

• landgirl100landgirl100 Posts: 655

You need to try them for size in your hand. Many are much too wide for my hands. I've spent a fortune on secateurs over the years and I've come to the conclusion that it's not worth paying a lot, just keep sharpening them and chuck them out when the spring breaks. Lidl are selling two types from Thursday for £2.69!

• everoseveros Posts: 55

Thanks landgirl.  I paid about £20 for my last pair, but I'm a bit disappointed. I seem to be continually sharpening & even though I oil them they keep sticking.  Perhaps they're all like that.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've always used Felco but they're so expensive. I bought 2 second hand pairs last year on ebay for about £25 inc postage.

Devon.
  • I've got a couple of pairs from Aldi, one is a bog standard pair whilst the others are ratcheted. They cut through anything. Can't fault them and they cost pennies.
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

..I agree with others that it's not worth the expense... I buy cheap from Asda or similar... they might last a couple of years without sharpening... then get another...

..throw away society....

• everoseveros Posts: 55

I agree about cheap ones.  I've bought a pair from Poundland £1.  I've done nearly all my pruning (which is a lot) & they've worked well.  If they only last one season I'll be very pleased.