Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Ceramic Pipes for keeping water butt clean

Has anyone tried those little bags of ceramic pipes to keep their water butt clean? Do they work? I would prefer to try them above tipping chemicals in the water, but want to know if they are just a gimmick

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Water butts will stay clean if you have a good lid on them to keep out the light and refrain from dipping dirty watering cans in them.

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

I've used ceramic tubes in my bird bath. I think they worked for a while but they get covered in gunk eventually. Haven't bothered since.

• LokelaniLokelani Posts: 112

I've also seen something that just looks like a silver coin advertised in the Lakeland catalogue. 

I've never tried either though.

I thought that with the really well fitting lid that ours came with, nothing much can get in & as it's black it keeps sun out which is probably what causes algae etc. The water that comes out of the tap below always seems okay. 

• Many thanks for the advice. I think my problem clearly stems from the fact that the water butt I inherited has no lid. I shall fashion one out of some old scraps of wood I have lying around, give it a good old clean out, and from what you are saying, I would hope that solves matters.

Thanks again