Start a new thread

41 to 52 of 52 replies

Iamweedy

Iain R 

I dont think that is the one i have but I will investigate further tomorrow.

Cloggie
Kitty 2 says:

Useless crapola, which seemed such a good idea at the time?....

Strap-on lawn aerator sandals .  Managed about three steps before getting stuck fast. 

Sorry I have no photos of the offending item to show, they were binned not long after purchase .

See original post

Did you strap them to your Clogs Kitty? <snigger> ...{mental image} 

josusa47

I do enjoy all these wry metaphors that begin: "As much use ... ".  A Jewish friend of mine says "As much use as a pork pie at a bar mitzvah.".  As well as a chocolate teapot, I've heard a chocolate fireguard.  But I think my favourite is an ashtray on a motorbike.

Cloggie

My Chocolate Teapot is a hoe that does frack-all no matter which darn way you use it.  I've tried sharpening it and using it upside down but as a weed-slicer (which I understand a hoe is), it's useless.  It's a decent make but the angle of the dangle is just all wrong so it doesn't push with enough oomph.  It does have a comfort grip handle though! 

I once had a cheap-as-chips implement that I got from B&Ms back in the day that had a "hand" on one side and a blade on the other.  It was fabulous.  Being cheap as chips, it broke eventually, but I got a good 10 years out of it.  One one side was a piece of metal in a squared-off loop.  Being thin, it bladed through the soil and cut off the greenery from the roots of the weeds then you turned it over and raked up the green tops with the fingers of the other side to tidy up.

Wish I could buy that tool again! 

Cloggie from your description it sounds like one of these.  One of those multi-change heads.

Advertisement

Cloggie

Almost but after a Google, I've found that it was a Stirrup Hoe.  

There are so many designs now some better than others as we have been discussing.

Obelixx

Cloggie - have a look at all the Wolf heads available and I think you'll find one that comes close.  My favourite is the push-me-pull-you double edged hoe head because I can use it for decapitating weeds and then turn it over and use it to gather them together for removal.   Two widths available.

Kitty 2 says:

Useless crapola, which seemed such a good idea at the time?....

Strap-on lawn aerator sandals .  Managed about three steps before getting stuck fast.

See original post
Haha, that made me laugh.

I have a new addition to the list. An extendable  wash brush with a hose connection on the end. Mainly for washing house windows but also for  washing the greenhouse glass. Seemed a good idea at the time BUT.  It does not reach the upstairs  house windows without you standing on a ladder (the whole idea was to avoid standing on ladders) . The hose connector drops out usually when you are at full stretch & all the water rushes back down up the sleeve of your jacket  (if you are lucky) or in your face (if not). The brush head unscrews itself & falls off if you are not careful. Its going back to Robert Dyas as soon as I can get round to it!

Busy-Lizzie says:

Kitty said "Strap-on lawn aerator sandals .  Managed about three steps before getting stuck fast." Same here, also went in the bin.
I bought one of these, a manual garden tiller. Couldn't turn it in my clay with limestone lumps and it did such a small bit at a time. Gave it to a friend. She liked it, but she had light soil.

See original post

I remember those. They were expensive and heavily promoted when they first appeared. I never bought one and you’ve confirmed what I thought at the time, wouldn’t work on clay soils. You never see them in the shops now.

Busy-Lizzie says:

Kitty said "Strap-on lawn aerator sandals .  Managed about three steps before getting stuck fast." Same here, also went in the bin.
I bought one of these, a manual garden tiller. Couldn't turn it in my clay with limestone lumps and it did such a small bit at a time. Gave it to a friend. She liked it, but she had light soil.

See original post

I've got a similar tool, called a garden claw, and it is brilliant in my lightish soil.  I use it to break up the surface compaction if we've had a lot of rain.  I agree it would not be very effective on heavy soil.