London (change)
Today 14°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 2°C
1 to 20 of 31 messages
21/02/2014 at 21:00
I would welcome any suggestions for cleaning the patio. It is Indian sandstone but has lost its colour and gained slippery sludgy bits. I have put soda crystals on a patch today but would welcome any advice
21/02/2014 at 21:37

I use a Jet wash, very good but messy.

21/02/2014 at 22:29

I'd leave it a while yet, until we lose this hideous rain. Maybe early April ish, would be better, then jet wash away to your heart's content.

23/02/2014 at 16:01

I have just bought some Patio Magic, it gets good write ups on Amazon and involves almost no work! Instructions tell you to dilute the Patio Magic in water and use a watering can to saturate the area. Wait 3 to 4 days and apparently it comes up clean.

I used it just yesterday so can't comment on it's success or otherwise yet but it was certainly easy to apply.

23/02/2014 at 17:06

Thanks lass. Can y let us know aftr a week to see if there's an improvement. 

Thought about jet washing but tends to loosen the grout and causes more work 

23/02/2014 at 17:29

Our terrace runs off onto our veg patch, herb bed and fern and rockery plants. What would be the effect of Patio Magic on them - does anyone know?  

Googling gives very ambiguous results. 

23/02/2014 at 18:33

Dove, I agree with you; I even phoned one company to ask them how toxic to plants their product is, the young man who responded said, 'Oh it's fine as you apply it diluted'. But why do they give no guarantee on the container?

My builder said emphatically when he laid the terrace in 2001, NOT to use a jet washer as it would wash away the grout. I'm reduced to scrubbing on my hands and knees to clean it. Now that is alright at the moment, as I'm only 27, but what happens when I'm 30?

23/02/2014 at 19:07

I think we're going to have to use a jet-washer, but very gently ............. and get the builder back from time to time to re-grout 

23/02/2014 at 19:13

art 

I used to use a sweeping brush with some washing up liquid for decks and patios, and a bit of elbow grease! You need caution if you have planting nearby whatever you're using though .  I'm not overly keen on the jet washers for paving, for the  reasons already mentioned, but they are good on decks.   We had a large one at last house and it was in the wrong place so a lot of it was slippy most of the time.The jet washer was fine as there was a gravelled area and privet hedge next to it , so we didn't have to worry about protecting anything precious.

24/02/2014 at 12:35

There is a warning on the instructions for Patio Magic which states that you should avoid drainage into flower beds so it has to be used carefully.

I will report back on how efficient it is as soon as I notice a difference.

25/02/2014 at 16:22
Blubell wrote (see)

Thanks lass. Can y let us know aftr a week to see if there's an improvement. 

Thought about jet washing but tends to loosen the grout and causes more work 

Hi Blubell, my patio areas are both looking very much cleaner following application of the Patio Magic. The green algae has gone and it has returned to normal non-slippy paving. I am very impressed with it. Although it cost nearly £10, I have only used half of it so I have it for next year.

It's pretty important to me to have safe areas to walk on, I broke my shoulder three years ago falling on the patio and I don't want it to happen again!

25/02/2014 at 20:09

Has anyone tried this ?  They sell it at my local GC and was thinking it might be good for us. 

http://www.wetandforget.co.uk/

KEF
25/02/2014 at 20:30

My patio doesn't drain onto garden. First attempt I used jet wash with brush attachment and quirted anti bac washing up liquid on stones. Got rid of green and muck but did not clean the stone. That should be ok for leakage into garden, maybe put down some cardboard as a barrier and don't use too much water.

Then I used the stone cleaner that we bought with the machine, mucky job, but stones looked better than new.

Any grout that has come out we have replaced with dry ready mixed patio grout powder stuff from B& Q....others are available

25/02/2014 at 20:34

I assaulted our paved area at work with nothing more than a bucket of water and a stiff brush and it cleared it nicely.

25/02/2014 at 20:38
You could use a VERY weak brick acid, and when I say weak I mean 100 parts water to it.
KEF
25/02/2014 at 20:47

SteveJ.  Hi, I've found that the cleaning flagstones is much easier than actual stone, wonder if the paved area where you work is flagged. Part of my stoned area is in shade and garden drains onto it, so I get a lot of "mould" and discolouration.

26/02/2014 at 06:45
Thanks Lancashire lass. My patio nowhere near any thing living (apart from algae) will defo give it a ago.
26/02/2014 at 07:22

That Wet & Forget looks interesting - I might investigate it further before I buy the Karcher I've been threatening to get 

26/02/2014 at 19:18
KEF wrote (see)

SteveJ.  Hi, I've found that the cleaning flagstones is much easier than actual stone, wonder if the paved area where you work is flagged. Part of my stoned area is in shade and garden drains onto it, so I get a lot of "mould" and discolouration.

Ah yes, I was talking about slabs...

05/03/2014 at 13:53

try one of the best and cheapest cleaning ingredients there is out there - VINEGAR and WATER, along with a stiff brush and a fair bit of hard work. with reference to the above re: grout within the paving - try brushing kiln blown sand once where you have cleaned is dry.

1 to 20 of 31 messages