London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
21 to 28 of 28 messages
28/11/2013 at 20:06

I have been using brother label tapes. The only problem I have is that most of the labels I have bought recently seem to be made of light degradeable plastic, and seem to crumble or snap easily after a season.

28/11/2013 at 22:57

Non permanent marker (ie white board marker) removes permanent marker.  Just an additional thought.  Have fun. x

28/11/2013 at 23:52

Same experience here with the actual plastic going brittle after only one season, fidgetbones.  They really need to make them from UV-proof plastic.  UPVC as used to make windows would be ideal but google isn't coming up with anything.  I'm sure someone could make a lot of money by selling slightly more expensive but longer lasting ones - a 5 year life would be fine.  There are plenty of expensive ones (some £5 each!) but no middle ground it seems.

29/11/2013 at 07:27
I'm with fidgetbones and have used Brother labelling tapes for years on a not-to-cheap plastic label. They just peel off when I want to change them. I do label my garden because with a memory like mine, I forget where I've put things, mainly bulbs.
Also just to let you know - the mole is back!!! We've been mole-free for a few weeks now but yesterday noticed more molehills in our new front lawn. I think it's time for traps now don't you???
04/12/2013 at 12:55

I'm with Bilje and use the cheap (Tesco's Value) brillo pads, soaked in a little warm water.

I actually cut the Tesco brillo pads into 3 strips with scissors and each strip does at least 2 dozen labels before running out of 'soap'. I then chuck them into the kitchen sink, containing water, to rinse.

Can anyone recommend a really good fine pointed marker that can be used to label? I like to put some detail on some of my labels, like height of the plant, and I run out of label space with the marker pens.

04/12/2013 at 13:14

Lancashire - have you tried Sharpies?

04/12/2013 at 13:52
Clarington wrote (see)

Lancashire - have you tried Sharpies?

I have heard of them but never tried them. I'll give them a go, thanks

04/12/2013 at 14:26

Just bought 3 black fine point waterproof sharpies off eBay for £2.50 with free postage.

Thanks Clarington!

email image
21 to 28 of 28 messages