London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
1 to 20 of 38 messages
27/11/2013 at 12:10

Hi All

Quick question, can I clean plastic plant labels that have been written on with a permanent marker, with nail polish remover?

27/11/2013 at 12:14

Try it and see but it could get expensive if you have a lot to clean.   Monty Don reckons a scrub with fine wire wool does the trick.

27/11/2013 at 12:18

Think nail polish remover would dissolve the labels too - I'd try Monty's fine wire wool. 

Lyn
27/11/2013 at 12:24

I have just washed mine, i put them in a bowl, sprayed a bit on bleach, left them overnight and then scrubbed with a green scotch brite. All clean,

27/11/2013 at 12:32

OK, thanks. I'll go with weak bleach and fine wire wool.

27/11/2013 at 12:48

Pencil is better to use. I find permanent pen is not that permanent in a damp pot or in the sun.

27/11/2013 at 12:55

Dove is right the acetone in nail varnish remover will definitely damage the plastic, white spirit should be ok though. If you scrub the labels you will find that marker pen will bleed next time you use them. Pencil as suggested by Blairs would be better

27/11/2013 at 13:03

Thanks Fleurisa and blairs (fit like! Aberdeen calling)

The pen came with the labels, I'll use it for something else and use a pencil

27/11/2013 at 13:41

I cleaned loads earlier this week with a very cheap Brillo type pad Dipped in water. I usually use cream cleaner with a kitchen cloth but the pretend Brillo was better. Like other gardeners I  find a pencil better for marking. I also have a simple Dymo tape machine that uses plastic tape. Looks smart but tape can become unstuck from the label so I use it more in the greenhouse for succulents etc.

27/11/2013 at 13:47

I use 'write for all' pen on the plastic label. By the time I've used both sides and the labels have been out a couple of years the plastic has started to degrade and that's the end. My labels are just for me in the nursery pots, I'm quite happy to cross out and write something else. I don't label the garden

27/11/2013 at 17:35

The 2,000 labels I just bought have to be rubbed down with wire wool before any pencil lead will stick to them. Doubles the work.

27/11/2013 at 21:22

That's a lot of labels!  Weak bleach solution, wire wool and pencil seem to be the answer, writing on the rough side of the label.  A job in the greenhouse, I think, when the weather is less temperate.

27/11/2013 at 21:57

I've tried various of the above suggestions/ combinations over the years. A quick and relatively inexpensive one is dab of spit and a smallish corner off an emery cloth/board (wet & dry) - a rinse in the water butt and dry in the sun on a wire through the little holes finishes the job. No real scouring (like wire wool/Brillo), so less likelihood of 'bleed' from permanent marker inks.

28/11/2013 at 00:13

Soaking in neat bleach for a few days gets permanent marker off plastic labels. I've had the same labels for years and use a Stabilo permanent marker. 

28/11/2013 at 10:23

What a lot of work. I find I can wipe off pencil with a wet thumb. Perhaps the segs on it help though.

28/11/2013 at 13:15

OK, this is what I'll do - a trial of all the above suggestions and then report back the results!  After Christmas, I think.  (I'm preferring Brumbull's method at this stage).

KEF
28/11/2013 at 13:52

I'm lazy I re-write on them or throw them away

28/11/2013 at 16:39

I use pencil and clean off with powder Vim and old green scourer. It takes only seconds to do.

KEF
28/11/2013 at 19:02

I wouldn't put them in the washer full stop and not on a hot wash.

Surprising how many things "escape" from wash bags and pillow cases into your washer pump, or wedge between drum and door seal. If you do decide to do this don't let it spin, not that it would with one item in it. Couldn't balance.

Better to try the Vim, or a bucket of hot water and bio powder overnight. Cheaper than an abortive call out charge for machine repairing due to miss- use.   

clk
28/11/2013 at 19:59

I tried nail varnish remover and it didn't work. I wonder if my old trick for cleaning tea pots would work - a splash of bleach and a shake of washing powder to boiling hot water (it fizzes and bubbles up so take care) stir, add labels and soak overnight. It gets teapot stains off completely. If it doesn't work I'll try the pillow case in the washing machine trick - is a 60 degree wash hot enough? Last year my hand ached from scrubbing dozens of plastic labels with a brillo pad and it took ages - never again!

clk
1 to 20 of 38 messages