London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
8 messages
02/09/2014 at 18:14

I bought a new shed last year and although the manufacturer says it doesn't actually need any treatment for at least 5 years I would prefer to err on the safe side.  The 'problem' is that we really like the light timber and don't want to use a coloured stain/preservative on it.

Does anybody have experience of any clear preservatives, good or bad, which they would like to share?

02/09/2014 at 18:23

Yes. You can buy a clear preservative. No colour at all.  I can't remember what it's called but we bought it from a builders merchants not a DIY store. It's just like water and very easy to use. Personally I wouldn't do your new fence this year as it is probably tantalised and it probably won't 'take on' the new preservative yet.  I'd wait til next hear if it were me, but it is your fence.

03/09/2014 at 00:26
SX70 by Sovereign. Tanalised timber is only good for one maybe two years, whatever they say.
03/09/2014 at 13:49

I used Burgess Marine Clearsealer on my hen house and shelter. It dried a bit shinier than the wood stain I'd already used but nothing crazy. Supposedly it is not as good at protecting against the sun as a woodstain. 

03/09/2014 at 18:58

Properly tantalised timber is good for a long time.

03/09/2014 at 19:07

I'll have to check with the people I bought the shed from and see what they say.  Thanks for the help.

04/09/2014 at 00:11
Properly tanalised timber, yes. The usual tanalised timber that is supplied, no!

The main indicator is to look at the ends of the planks and see how deeply the chemicals have penetrated.
05/09/2014 at 08:56

We used a clear stain designed for yachts on ours, I cannot remember the name though sorry. We did manage to get it from a local DIY store though if that helps!

We found it very tough wearing and durable - as it would need to be I suppose.

email image
8 messages