London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
14 messages
07/06/2013 at 19:37

Hi all,  Whats the consensus on coffee grounds being mixed into seived compost from last year to use to grown veg? I have a container garden, as I have no healthy soil ( japanese Knott weed under plastic membrane and then pebbles on top.) thanks

07/06/2013 at 21:46

I put coffee grounds on the compost heap. They make good compost but then they are only a small proportion. I have heard of coffee being used to repel slugs. It's not toxic. I suppose it depends on the proportions being used

07/06/2013 at 21:58

Coffee grounds are probably best composted but if you add a general purpose fertiliser (as they will likely contain no useful nutrients, just like your previously used compost), I would think you'd be fine mixing grounds with used multi-purpose compost.  I just sprinkle mine on the borders and everything in those grows OK.

08/06/2013 at 08:41

I put mine in the composter like fidgetbones because they certainly don't deter slugs in my garden - if only!! Having lived in a flat tho I'd say they don't do any harm when thrown into different pots of hardy plants n they're easily disposed of that way.

08/06/2013 at 08:47

I have heard that they make compost slightly more acidic, since my soil is pretty alkali I think they are a good idea. Coffee chains like Starbucks sometimes give away big packets of used grounds. But I would add large amounts to the compost bin gradually since I don't know what effect they have on the worms and other tiny creatures in the bin.

09/10/2013 at 14:03

Coffee does make soil more acid, but it depends on the size of the garden and the amount of coffee you drink!  I think one filter's worth per day in a large bin wouldn't change the balance that much over the year.

09/10/2013 at 14:46

I put these in my pots of raspberries to make the soil more acidic.  I just empty them straight from my husband's coffee maker into the pots and I had loads of raspberries this year.

09/10/2013 at 15:18

Dont drink enough coffee......'orrible stuff   But do drink lots of tea, luverly 

I use tea leaves around azaleas, Camelias, Rhodos, etc. try to discard the bags after emptying them though 

09/10/2013 at 15:44

Don't drink coffee or tea 

09/10/2013 at 15:47

I rinse out the coffee pot and put them on the compost. Don't drink much coffee though. I'm a tea jenny!

09/10/2013 at 16:24

I tried adding coffee grounds twice but on both occasions something went crazy overnight and completely excavated the raised beds, presumably looking for what was smelling so good. Can't actually blame them because it smelt rather edible to me too as I was digging it in.

Then again, whilst I have both foxes and squirrels living at the bottom of my garden, maybe caffeine-crazed wildlife isn't an issue where you live.

09/10/2013 at 16:26

I mix my coffee grounds with crushed egg shells,then use it around my hostas,the slugs hate it.

09/10/2013 at 20:42

I drink everyone else's share of coffee as well as my own, and then I put the grounds around the hostas 

09/10/2013 at 20:55

I think the very best protection against slugs is copper.  It won't prevent slugs in the soil inside the copper but it does prevent intruders.  I have seen slugs travel over the traditional "solutions" like sand, grit, coffee, tea, etc but not yet seen any on copper.  

Acrually, copper is second best.  Hand picking at night works for me and I  add them with fresh fruit to ice cream later.   Wash them first of course 

email image
14 messages