London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
4 messages
04/08/2013 at 20:11

I used to have a cold frame, made out of pallets, but it eventually rotted away, and I missed it. I don't have a greenhouse and had nowhere to put anything that needed a bit of shelter over winter.

Well, last year we had some doors and windows replaced and I kept a lot of the wood and two of the doors, with the intention of making myself a new frame. I have finally done the deed  and the cold frame is finished.

http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg233/blackjack078/coldframe_zpsf4bb29c2.jpg

The lid is part of my old back door. The front is Yorkshire boarding left over from another building project (yes, I save things up for  years in case they might come in handy). The back and sides are made from other bits of door frame, window frames and barge boards. I have made a prop to hold the lid open while I mess around in there - that lid is heavy and I don't want it crashing down on my arms.

I didn't use all the wood I'd saved so I have cut the rest up for firewood. Now I will be warm this winter and so will my plants

04/08/2013 at 20:16

Another ace recycler - it looks great Mary.

04/08/2013 at 20:18

That looks fab!  If I was a plant I think I would be very happy in there!

05/08/2013 at 08:28

That looks ace.... Mmmmm my neighbour is having their wood windows replaced I wonder mmmmmm

email image
4 messages