Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Coldframes

Hi

Total novice but loving my new garden.  I'd like to get a coldframe by autumn.  We haven't got any room for a greenhouse.  The only possible position is against the back of the house and it could be up to 2 ft deep and 3-4ft wide max, I don't think height is much of an issue.   We have small people who enjoy a little football in the garden. I think the main uses would be to overwinter tender perennials in pots and young plant seeded in autumn plus providing more space to germinate once weather improving. The way I'm going I might need quite a bit of room!!!

Ive looked on the Internet a little but thought you wonderful people might be able to offer some advice re features and particular suppliers.  The position only gets sun to mid morning but it really is my only option.

Looking forward to hearing your recommendations and advicI.

Thanks in advance, Kathryn.

• Oh, budget up to £200 at the absolute maximum!!!

• And again, now I'm back in garden, height max Just over 3ft. 

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Hi KJ

How handy are you?  OH built mine from planks of wood and a sheet of double glazed polycarbonate about 10 years ago and it has been brilliant.  If you are interested I will take some photos for you to copy.  You can then make it whatever size you like.  He based it around 3 of the really large seed trays you can get.  It does not have a base - just sides and a hinged lid.  Hope this helps

Very helpful, not very handy but if you could post some pics would give me an idea? Thanks. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

And start collecting saving sheets of discarded polystyrene now - it'll be useful in the winter to insulate the coldframe if you're over-wintering tender plants image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Cool, thanks Dove

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

Hi Chicky

I'd be interested to see the photos too as I am thinking of going down the same route. Bought my OH a Workmate last year. It would be nice to give him something to do with it image

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • My other half is going to make me one this weekend woo hooo he's very handy image

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.