Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

compost bin on stone flags

Hi,

I am a complete novice at all things gardening but would like to do my bit for the struggling bee/butterfly population.

I am not working due to long term ME/CFS problems so money and energy are both in short supply.

Growing veg though desirable is not really practical given the long periods of time i am confined to bed. ( often for weeks at a time )

I have a small front garden 3.20m x 2.10m recently populated with bee friendly, easy sown flowers. I will need advise on this later.

I have a rear yard paved with flags and currently hosting a number of pots and containers, also populated with recently sown bee/butterfly wildflowers. I am after some advice on the setting up of a compost bin on my paved back yard.

I was thinking of purchasing a 220litre plastic compost bin( 740 x 740 x 900 ) and siting it on a raised bed.I was going for this option as my health issues need a composting system that is cheap and energy/time lite.I was thinking of using the following to build the bed.

http://www.travisperkins.co.uk/Sawn-Timber-Regularised-Treated-C16-47mm-x-200mm-x-4-2m/p/685327

I was going to build it 1m x 90cm. Is this large enough to host the plastic bin?

Do i need to put anything down to protect the newish Indian flags that have been laid? How do i prevent soil/excess water from leaching onto the flags?

What material should i use to form the base?

What else do i need to consider?

I am also looking at setting up some raised beds for growing bee/butterfly friendly flowers some time in the near future so any advice on this is most appreciated.

I would also appreciate any spare materials for undertaking these projects.

Many thanks in anticipation.

Darrell

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Maybe a wormbin would suit you better. You will not have the amount of waste needed to fill a bin, and turning it would be difficult for you.

try this link

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/talkback/vermicomposting-for-begginers/255110.html

Edd is away on an adventure at the moment but his thread covers most queries

• Fidget - that's just what I was thinking image but couldn't find the thread image

Having had a member of my family struggle with ME, turning compost is not something I'd suggest - but a community of happy worms turning your rubbish/food waste into lovely fertiliser - just the ticket image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• thanks for the reply. i still feel that a compost bin is still the best option as i make 80% of my food from my weekly veg. delivery. I have also inherited an 80 litre bin full of soggy compost that i am seeking to sort out. Also a composting bin with a screw top and a sliding hatch at the bottom removes the need to turn the pile.

thanks

• Hmmm - compost in the type of bin you describe still needs aerating, which is what turning does - it can be strenuous, even with an aerating tool such as this http://www.edenproject.com/shop/Compost-Aeration-Tool.aspx

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

Making compost in big bins is definitely for the fit (and the tallimage

OH has taken over ours now as I just couldn't turn it and fork it over into the other bin, you need two, as when one is full you turn it then leave it while you start to fill the other. A screw lid and hatch doesn't eliminate the need for turning, you will probably end up with a smelly mess.

if you place it on your paving slabs it will leak out. In your situation I would go for the wormery as mentioned.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

I have a Green Johanna which is available at a reduced rate from my council (Wiltshire).  It comes with a bottom.   I've always had it on paving stones.  It does spill out the sides a bit but that's mostly because I'm messy.    I've not noticed leaching but then I'm not that particular about my paving stones.

Aerating compost is hard work but as a book I saw once said "Compost happens."  It is just slower if you can't turn it.  You may need help getting at the finished stuff in the middle though. The Green Johanna comes with side hatches but it is hard work getting it out. 

I had a friend who had a compost bin on her 1st floor balcony and she still had worms etc find their way there.

• I might be a bit dopey here, but I thought that compost bins had to go on the soil /  ground so that worms could wriggle their way up into the compost.  Can bins stand on paving slabs and still produce compost?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I always thought that outdoor girl and all six of mine are on the open ground having a turn over of compost every two months, but someone on here said it doesn't need worms, so I suppose it's up to the individual.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• I had a tumbler compost bin for a while and that stood on slabs. I freecycled it in the end because it took ages to rot down and I got fed up with turning it...and the lid kept popping off. Did not tell that to the man who took it away though...

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

Mine has always been on paving slabs AND it has a base but it has tons of worms, woodlice etc in it.   There are some holes in the base for aeration (and presumably worm entry) and the worms easily found their way over the paving.