Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Compost bin

I bought this bin from Asda today for a fiver. I'm so excited image

• Very nice....good price too. Bet you can't wait to get peeling, shredding, chopping, deadheading, mowing and....................

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Get another one at that price. You'll soon fill it.

• KibAnKibAn Posts: 17

I inherited one of these with my new garden and it makes compost much quicker than my conventional slatted ones.  I have a lot of composting to do so use a  - I forget what its called - but starts the composting process, called Garotta?

• Was it on special offer, I've just looked on their web site but couldn't find it, DH has just said if I find it then we will get 2!!

• Yes Anne it is Garotta, I use it in mine and in my leaf mulch bags, really helps to get things started.

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I wish I had got two but only had limited space in the car. 

Flowers and fidget - I think it might have even been just our store because I couldn't find it online later today. I couldn't believe it when I saw the price. Maybe trying to offload gardening stuff with September approaching?

Ann - yes its used I think if you don't have the right balance between green and brown material.

Funnily enough when I needed to clear a space for it, I had to pull out a load of dumped garden waste which had been there for too long. And there already was well rotted compost image

• Awww shame, you got a good bargain there Fishy

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,276

I suppose I did flowers image Could I ask being new to composting, do you guys wet the ingredients as you add them? Probably a daft question as vegetation gets rained on doesn't it image

• I don't, just bung them in but often things are naturally a bit damp. I do however dampen the leaves in my leaf mulch bags and give them a shake now and then ready to use in the autumn.

• To help composting get off to a good start i use urine thats right urine, male is better.not so many hormones.