21 to 40 of 44 messages
23/04/2013 at 05:28

i live in south staffs and our local Aldi charges for plastic bags it certainly helps you to remember to take your own,

23/04/2013 at 09:03

Muddy m, Lidl also charge; it seems to work - customers generally bring their own.

I was intrigued to find that there were so many ways of composting on this course. I just have 2 dalek bins and they are great, but could probably do with a 3rd. I would like to be in a position to not have to buy multi purpose composts anymore as they contain peat I believe, which in Britain alone releases 'around 1 million tonnes of carbon dioxide' 69%, of the peat used is by amateur gardeners.

Compost can be made in; Bins, Heaps, Wooden slatted boxes, even a large cardboard box as a temporary method. Also bins that you rotate to speed up the compost.

Green Cones get rid of kitchen waste, but don't make compost, Wormeries are great for kitchen waste, not garden waste and are fun for children, Bokashi method, which I have to read up on a bit more.

The course taught us that it should be a 50/50 mix of greens and browns in an ordinary bin or heap. That is damp stuff like kitchen peelings and soft leaves and stalks from the garden and dry stuff like egg boxes and cardboard. They were rather against composting printed material on paper, even though the ink is no longer carcinogenic or whatever it was, as paper can be recycled (to the benefit of trees).

23/04/2013 at 09:52

Hi Artjak

re the landfill in Peterborough. It's not so much new sites. The top is taken off anold one, rubbish moved around, the hole dug deeper, the crap piled up higher, new 'cells' opened, application for the words 'non-inert waste' to be removed from previous permissions and so it goes on. The smell is unbelievable

23/04/2013 at 10:01

I'm not convinced the problem are plastic bags, they can actually be recycled if people bothered. The big problem which no one ever mentiones is the sheer volume of packaging supermarkets use. 4 Apples in a polystyrene tray, with a plastic top, all wrapped in celephane, crazy. Over packaging is the problem which governments are afraid to tackle, it's easier to hit the public with easy bag taxes.

There is also little evidence that the "big" bags are better. They are often made in china, in poluting factories, then shipped half way around the world, to us, who use them maybe 10 times, then throw them away too. Where they then sit taking much longer to decompose than the lightweight bags. Greener? Not convinced myself.

23/04/2013 at 10:06

There are plenty of 'proper' bags around for anyone who recognises the importance of it all. There sre always some near the checkout in Sainsbury's here. But they're not free.

I'm a dressmaker so at an advantage. I knocked some up out of leftover fabric.

23/04/2013 at 10:25

There are plastic bags and fabric bags. The fabric bags are pretty tough the handles are strong enough and would go through the washing machine if needed. I generally grab a box if I havent a bag and it usually finishes up starting a fire.

23/04/2013 at 10:38

Nut C., can we see some of your homemade bags?

23/04/2013 at 10:47

I'll take a pic later on Artjak, they're in the car awaiting my shopping trip.

23/04/2013 at 20:14

Here they are, they've done their work. Leftovers from several pairs of my trousers and dresses for the granddaughters.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22500.jpg?width=273&height=350&mode=max

24/04/2013 at 21:06

They are fab I wil try to upload on Thurs one I made for music books from an old fabric sample.

24/04/2013 at 21:28

I'll have to make something slightly smaller. These are fine for supermarket, lift it into the car stuff but me being on the short side they tend to touch down if I have to carry them far. 

Don't forget to post yours.

24/04/2013 at 22:21

The problem is not simply ensuring that things are sent for recycling. It is ensuring that the facilities for doing the recycling exist - actually reusing the materials.

25/04/2013 at 08:12

You're right GG. Mostly they don't exist do they?

25/04/2013 at 10:13

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/22554.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

Not nearly as smart as yours, but it works!

25/04/2013 at 10:51

Looks pretty classy to me artjak. 

25/04/2013 at 10:55
Hi artjak ,im moving to Norfolk soon, can you give me any information on the course you did please it sounds very good
Alan4711
25/04/2013 at 19:04

Alan 4711 (isn't that a cologne?) so fragrant Alan, the course is run once a year as far as I know, it took me 15 months wait to get on it; book it NOW! (sorry to shout) Contact Norfolk Council. I have to go into my emails to get you the exact email address, so look out for next post

25/04/2013 at 19:25

Alan, I'm back; email david.hawkyard@norfolk.gov.uk

The whole point of the course is that we not only learn more about composting ourselves (no, not quite composting ourselves, ) but that we go out and proselytise about it to stop more rubbish going into landfill and incinerators, via stands at fetes etc. plus talking to people; friends, neighbours, relatives to persuade them to compost. Hopefully we achieve this without being crossed off everyone's dinner party list

25/04/2013 at 19:26

NutC., Have you been watching the Sewing Bee competition on T.V.?

25/04/2013 at 20:56

artjak, no I haven't but you're not the first person to mention it. Is it good, should I be watching? That would mean I'd be watching 2 programmes a week. Not sure if I can deal with that much TV

21 to 40 of 44 messages