London (change)
Today 15°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
5 messages
27/05/2013 at 10:19

I have some runner beans and sweet peas that I'm going to plant round a cane wigwam in a large plastic pot.   I'm not sure which is the best compost for this - multi purpose, J I no.3, a mixture of the two?  

Also when and how often should I feed them?  And with what?

I've never done this before, so I would appreciate your help - thanks! 

27/05/2013 at 11:24

Runners are hungry plants, so see if you can buy some composted manure (most garden centres will have it.)  They also act as a sail in the wind, so tie the top of the canes to something solid nearby (if you can) to prevent them blowing over.  The deeper the pot the better.

27/05/2013 at 11:29

Add some JI2  (you don't need 3, they are not mature, established plants which is what 3 is for) to whatever you use.  As they are going to be in a plastic pot, they will need the weight to stop them falling over as the runners get bigger.  Are you growing the sweet peas with the runners?  You may find that as the runners are large strong plants that the sweet peas get overrun - runners are pretty enough to go it alone, then you will get the full benefit of the sweet peas elsewhere.  When runner beans were first introduced they were classed as an ornamental because of their lovely flowers. 

27/05/2013 at 14:43

Thanks both.  The pot is now planted, so I'll wait and see what happens.  My neighbour keeps rabbits and just on cue he came round with a pot full of 3 year old rabbit manure and told me to put it in the bottom of the pot - so I did!  I'm not very optimistic about the sweet peas actually as they were very potbound and I had difficulty separating them with enough root.  If they don't perform well I shall remove them and let the runners delight and amaze me on their own!  I have other sweet peas elsewhere.

26/07/2013 at 14:39

correct soil composition in which to plant sweet pea seeds (flowering scented)

email image
5 messages