Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Composter advice

I need to buy a composter or two for my new city garden and would appreciate some advice, please? From information supplied by my local council I see there are two sizes - 220 and 330 litre. The 220 litre is 740 cm in diameter and 900 cm in height. The 330 is 800 cm in diameter and 1000 cm in height. Is it enough to buy one or is it better to go for two and which sizes do you suggest? I shall look forward to hearing from you. 

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

This is a time, money, size of garden question. The more you have the more compost you can make, assuming that your garden produces plenty of green waste but they take up quite a bit of room. Are you going to turn your compost or are you planning on filling it one year and emptying it the following year?

I have a compost bin and a wormery. A wormery makes a lot of sense in a city, I had a lot of trouble with ratsimage and I do not need to wear wellies in the winter to feed the worms.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    If you have the space, I'd go for 2 containers, so you've got 1 being filled and the other rotting down/ ready to go. In fact I've got 3, one being filled up, one rotting down and one with rotted stuff ready for use. But I an fortunate in having a place where they can go which doesn't impede on my garden space as they are not things of beauty. There are alternatives to the dalek bins, a lot of people favour wooden ones, and if you can get hold of Alys Fowler's 'The Thrifty Gardener', she has instructions for making wooden ones which look like beehives- in fact if you do a google search you will probably find loads of ideas. I tried a wormery once, but didn't really get on with it, and even though I have had a couple of problems with rodents over the years, I find that giving the bins a hefty kick as I pass, and encouraging visitors to do likewise, they haven't returned. Kate's point of how much waste you will be able to source/ generate is also worth taking into consideration.
  • Many thanks for your replies, kate1123 and figrat. You have given me some very good suggestions. By the way I love the idea of giving the bins a hefty kick - it sounds very therapeutic image