London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 11°C
41 to 60 of 85 messages
15/01/2013 at 20:00

It has been a lot of hard work with my wormery it took a year to get right but I am getting somewhere with it now, much easier to have a compost bin I think as the worms just come up from the ground and water drains out nicely.

That nice of your neighbour to give stuff for your compost heap.

I am not doing much out in the garden at minute as a bit cold just sorting out compost bins and wormery and a bit of bird feeding and having a quick look a plants seeing what bulbs have popped up.

15/01/2013 at 22:54

Hi Gardengirl,

Your worms sound as though they are working hard for you which is great. I think I will maybe get my heap established first then maybe have a go at the worms after the summer or next spring. 

My neighbours are great. They are all elderly and am happy for me to tend to their gardens when they need it done

No snow here so have more grass to lift which I will get done by the end of the week Im hoping. A couple of more seeds to get in and then thats me for a wee bit. Im looking forward to the lighter nights now that they are startin to draw out.

Did you get a kit for your wormtopia?

15/01/2013 at 23:54

Hello Sam

Not snowing here just too cold to be outside for too long

Bought kit from Wiggly Wigglers website containing worm cafe, lime mix, worm treats, bedding block of coir dirt and bedding mat to keep them warm, got a bit of money off from GW offer in mag, that's good as cost quite a lot of money to get.

And of course the worms, nearly forgot, then tiger worms which can be brought seperately if you need any for your compost heap.

16/01/2013 at 17:15

I had thought of getting a wormery in the past, but the price put me off (£70/80?) Wondered if it would be possible to make one. Has anyone got any ideas on how to do it? I have good basic carpentry skills.

16/01/2013 at 18:30

There are some good how to's on you tube on how to make your own wormery

16/01/2013 at 20:38

There was an article last year in The GW mag telling you how to make a wormery, didn't look that difficult.

It's one of my projects for this year. I've three polystirene freezer box's, free from a local nursery, didn't get round to making one last year and by October decided it was too late to try.    

16/01/2013 at 21:39

Pauline and Zoomer, many thanks

Lyn
17/01/2013 at 16:20

Without reading back the whole lot of this thread, I am wondering what the benefits of a wormery is. My compost is in wooden bins, straight onto the ground and when I shovel out, its absolutely full of earth worms, are the ones in a wormery something special?

Dont forget to put all your junk mail and mags in the bin as well, Monty says everything goes in his.

17/01/2013 at 16:26
Lyn wrote (see)

Without reading back the whole lot of this thread, I am wondering what the benefits of a wormery is. My compost is in wooden bins, straight onto the ground and when I shovel out, its absolutely full of earth worms, are the ones in a wormery something special?

Dont forget to put all your junk mail and mags in the bin as well, Monty says everything goes in his.

The worms are the same sort Lyn. If my wormery seems to be struggling I raid the compost bin for a few & vice versa if need to. J.

17/01/2013 at 16:39
Lyn wrote (see)

Really in a compost bin??-magazines? -I think you are going to have a long wait for those to break down?

This says no -tend to go with that -sorry-unless you can show otherwise

http://www.n-somerset.gov.uk/Environment/Recycling+and+waste/composting-faq.htm

17/01/2013 at 19:57

I put lots of junk bills/fliers/bills/envelopes and cardboard in, usually ripped up. I think it might be high sheen so called glossies that maybe a problem- maybe because of the processing and inks that are used. Although don't really know why?

I'm still not sure what a wormery does-is it a quicker, less volume type of composter? What is a wormery's end product?

17/01/2013 at 19:59

Hillie-click on that link in my last message- it has other links that explains more about wormerys(sp)

17/01/2013 at 22:07

The liquid fertiliser produced from the worms sound interesting although I will stick to Monty

Geoff are you correcting and telling me off for my spelling?

18/01/2013 at 07:20

I think he's querying the spelling of the plural - wormerys/ wormeries - think it's  ies 

18/01/2013 at 07:57

That is l wanted to know Hollie/ Holly/Hols

18/01/2013 at 15:27

Or even Hillie

18/01/2013 at 21:26

May have got this really wrong but I was making a wormery for the liquid feed it produces can't imagine one would make heaps of compost...

20/01/2013 at 23:00
Sotongeoff...i read somewhere that some ink has pesticides in it which can transfer to your compost? Could this be the case? I had news paper in but then took it out after reading it.
21/01/2013 at 10:09

Sam-seriously not the case-newspaper is fine- it rots down quicker if you shred or tear it rather tham plonking your copies of the Financial Times in one great heap

21/01/2013 at 10:27
I actualy 'tucked in' my compost with it and shreadded some. Thats good that I can use it now though. Thanks.
41 to 60 of 85 messages