London (change)
Today 13°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
61 to 80 of 85 messages
Lyn
21/01/2013 at 17:32
All mags and junk mail go in my bins, I started making compost last spring and by October I had the equivalent of 8 dalek loads, which I just put all over the flower beds and one lot in the bean trench, if it's ok for Monty then it's right by me.
21/01/2013 at 18:36

All our shredded paper, whatever sort, goes into my compost bins/wormery, but whole magazines etc go into the paper waste wheely bin.

My worm liquid I dilute about 1:10 worm juice :water. Brilliant liquid feed. Any extra, which there always is, I store in ex plastic milk bottles under the wormery. It does freeze at this time of year, but is fine as long as bottle not too full in first place. Once the summer arrives I do end up with more liquid than I need, so add it to one of my slower compost bins as an accelerator. J.

21/01/2013 at 19:18

jo4eyes, do you think it is worth while having a wormery as well as compost bins?

Lyn
22/01/2013 at 09:44
I spend hours tending my compost heaps, I get lot of waste veg from different people, I don't buy ' the glossies ' but weekly mag tv times etc an all the little supplements I rip apart if you get it the right way it tears into thin strips. Junk mail, if it's a bit thick, goes in the shredder first, then collected in a bin bag so only the correct amount goes on in one go.
I always take the paper off tea bags as this takes too long to break down, veg is cut into tiny pieces. I just love turning it and seeing the progress each week.
Of course some people won't agree but for the amount I made in 6 - 9 months is proof enough for me.
22/01/2013 at 10:06

Lyn, you are an inspiration to us all

22/01/2013 at 10:07

Lyn -this is not compost wars -if it works for you then fine-you don't have to defend your position.

Now turn that frown -upside down

22/01/2013 at 10:13

Lyn, unlike you I don't take the paper off tbags, so my veg garden always has a sprinkling of old tbags

sotongueoff, I don't think that lyn was being confrontational about compost, just very helpful

22/01/2013 at 10:36

I put cardboard packaging, cat food boxes and the like and most junk mail in although do have a tendancy to just chuck them in fairly large pieces, the same really for any veg. Had some compost for the first time, but will try and spend a little more time adding smaller pieces of stuff in the future.

I have read somewhere that you can put hair in as well, but surely that would take a very long time to break down?

Sounds like you're getting great enjoyment and the results Lyn

Lyn
22/01/2013 at 11:45

Thanks artjak, but we all know Geoffs heaps of muck must be good, after all, he has had more years to practice it!. 

I shall not mention heaps any more!

22/01/2013 at 11:51

artjak- I have the wormery near to the back door, so that saves trotting down to the bottom of garden with kitchen waste in rotten weather.

Hollie, yes hair goes into my bins, plus some (shake out collection sheet) onto the lawn/patio in early Spring for the birds to collect for their nests. J.

Lyn
22/01/2013 at 12:58

Wasnt going to mention heaps any more, but just wanted to show this link:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2151965/Check-compost-catches-heat-firefighters-warn-house-wrecked-spreading-flames.html

22/01/2013 at 13:16

Cant get that link to work Lyn, but heaps do get hot. My main bin steams when you get the lid off, now unfrozen, & you can feel the heat coming from it. J.

22/01/2013 at 13:17
22/01/2013 at 16:54

Blimey, that was one hot bin!

Also on there an article about compost & Legionnaires' disease. Gloves yes, but face mask- when potting on/up?! J.

22/01/2013 at 18:04

Years ago I heard a story about a boy who ran over a big compost heap in wellies and the rubber melted onto his leg!! I always keep the daleks moist in summer.

Lyn; I have just torn up my first magazine and put it on the compost, I will wait and see what happens

23/01/2013 at 01:06
Mr Artjak...Im not falling for this one young man lol ;p
Lyn...you are a composting guru my dear I love the fact there are soo many ways of doing it. I have to say I dont put hair or cat fuzz in because I leave it in an old feeder for the birds to nest with. Mine seems to be taking forever.
23/01/2013 at 10:24

Sami G, I am an elderly spinster (nearly wrote 'spinach', which proves I'm old))

24/01/2013 at 11:24

Lol, your only as old as you feel. Old spinach is a bit tough mind 

24/01/2013 at 16:07

24/01/2013 at 16:21

A friend of mine gave me some worms ( He has 2 wormeries,) I got 2 cheap dustbins . Cut the top off one and stood id on an upturned bucket inside the other. put some holes in the botton of the inside bucket. put 6 inches of compost in the inner bin and food leftovers on the top. put worms in. I started mine in april and they are now going into hibernation mode .I have the most fantastic compost now and i take liquid fertilizer out of a tap i have fixed to outside bin.i have not removed compost but will eventually do so the worms have multiplied. Every so often I put some of the worms into my compost bins

61 to 80 of 85 messages