Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Composting

Sorry if this is in the wrong section Hello I have just been given an allotment and am wondering can I make my own compost wiv a compost bin or should I just make a little box and use that? Any ideas will be great

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Compost bins are fine. If you have a lot of stuff to compost, you can use the 1 tonne size builders bags with a piece of cardboard or carpet on top.

• Awesome thanks for the quick response my other option was to just build one out of pallets but got a bin already
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

medavid, remember; no perrenial weeds unless they are seed and root free, also a mix of greens and browns (nitrogen and carbon) and turn it from time to time to get air into the mix. Good luck with making your compostimage

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,267

You might need more than one bin for an allotment, you can never have enough compost, it keeps the plants and soil happy. Why not build a pallet one as well, you can then use your bin for muck.  

• yeh zoomed know what you mean, going to see how the one goes first and can always make one.

can anyone tell me what these plants are and if they can be composted. Inside the red marks.

http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/davidcook85/story/30011

• Should I have 2 compost bins one of compost and other for manure?

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

I have 2 one metre cubed sized wooden bins, they are used for a start, then its gets transferred into 3 of those big blue farm containers, then when its completely ready its transferred into compost bags.

I have a very quick turnover of compost, there will be enough by the end of the year to cover all my beds and borders.

the picture you show there just looks like a load of mixed weed and uncut grasses, can you be more specific?

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

Impossible to say; you may have some real nasties thereimage, like Dock and Dandelion.

• davids10davids10 Posts: 894

if you make a hot heap-higher than 150F-.  you can compost anything. the heap will be self sterilizing. in a cool heap be careful of seeds, perennial weeds and almost anything that spreads by runners-goldenrod is the worst. i think making a fast hot heap is a fun thing to do-but only if you are a composthead.

• Forgive my ignorance David but how do you make a hot-heap as opposed to a 'normal' one?