Start a new thread

41 to 43 of 43 replies

Kazzi says:

I bought berry tine croecote substitute last year to put on all wood work around house , have rather a lot including decking which had 2 coats, it looked really good everywhere but a year later there is hardly any left on it as has gone back to the colour it was before I did all that hard work, it was expensive and a total waste of time so didn't even really last a year, am never using that again what a con and waste of money. The EU keep stopping everything that actually works , I'm sick of them! I really have not got the time to be doing woodwork every year and is costly, they probably made this rule so we all had to spend more money and work ten times harder! (Same with Henry hovers they only allowed a slower engine now because Poxy EU regulations ) I bet they have gardeners cleaners etc so they don't have to do jobs them selves :( fed up that I now again this year will have to do it all again another 2 weeks of my time ! I don't want to use anything that flakes off I want something like the old original creosote that lasted around ten hrs before re doing it all.. My advise I'd DO NOT BUY THE SUBSTITUTE BARRESTINE CREOCOTE AS IT IS A WAY BELOW and very poor STANDARD SUBSTITUTE! So unless you are prepared to apend all that money and redo it every year do not buy! 

See original post

Creosote has been banned in Australia on health grounds for years and years ...  that'll be because of the EU then will it ? 

And as for working ten times harder -  if we go for Brexit and the British Workers lose the protection of the EU Working Time Directive you'll see who actually wants us to work even harder 

And here comes the devil from left field.

If Creosote and its derivatives are by design, applied to kill stuff and inhibit further growth of living organisms, then how can any of these products be environmentally friendly? I do believe they are all oil based by some association so why not use diluted oil in the first place? Does the same job and first point recycled.

Interesting read this thread, but a simple search online brings the following up

The European Union had concerns over the carcinogenic potential of creosote and coal tar creosote for some time. In 1994, to control the specification of the creosote in amateur products, they restricted the levels of one of the chemicals in amateur creosote products, benzo-alpha-pyrene, to less than 0.005 % by mass, and this was implemented in Great Britain via restrictions on the specification of products approved under The Control of Pesticides Regulations.

so yes the EU did ban traditional Creosote for use by the general public.

in response to the OP I really hope he's got his fence finished by now ;-D