London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 6°C
4 messages
24/09/2012 at 22:11

Can anyone tell me how I should treat my softwood cuttings after the initial stages ?  I think I have got the hang of where to cut, what potting medium to use, terracotta pots, cuttings at the side etc etc.  I have then put the pots in propagators with lids on, and put them on the lower shelf of my unheated greenhouse.  Four weeks later they are still there, and haven't keeled over yet.   

But what next ??  Do I leave the covers on indefinitely?  How often should I water them ?  When can they come up to the top shelf and into the sunlight ? And then how do I get them through the winter ?  Any advice would be much appreciated.

Ones on the go at the moment are penstemmon, viburnum, phlox, lavender and hydrangeas .....

24/09/2012 at 22:28

Sue, Patience is a gardeners best tool sit and wait is the way to go.
Penstemon, 3-4 inch pot of loam peat and grit, pop in a cold frame or greenhouse and then in Spring plant out the rooted cuttings.
Same with all the others I would not cover them if they are in a greenhouse as it can cause damp problems, as long as they are under cover out of draughts and can get light, keep them just damp through the coldest periods then watch them come to life in the spring.

Frank.

25/09/2012 at 21:02

Thanks very much Palaisglide - I will go and take the covers off.  Do you think they will be alright in an unheated greenhouse?  Will I have to cover them with fleece if frost is forecast?

25/09/2012 at 23:14
Sue10 you shouldnt need to but it's prob sensible to cover them if there's a sharp frost but uncover them again during the day unless ESP cold. They still need good light
email image
4 messages