London (change)
Today 16°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 8°C
8 messages
03/08/2013 at 01:36

Hi, I have a lawn that has been damaged by my two dogs (15kg and 28kg - mainly in the winter I think), it now sports several large divots, this is compounded by a lack of care over the years, the lawn been hacked at for various reasons and wee patches.

I am looking for the quickest solution to make a nice lawn (I accept that I wont have a perfect lawn lawn due to the lack of time I can spend looking after it and the dogs).

I have previously tired throwing down some seed and patching holes with soiI, but that was a massive fail.

I have considered trying to use pre grown lawn bought in rolls and laying that. I have also considered digging over the whole lawn and re-sowning it from scratch.

My questions are

1. how long does it take for the rolled lawn to take and can it accept being used during that time?

2. would the pre rolled lawn be the best option for this situation, if not what would be an quick and effective way of "getting a new lawn"?

3. how do I avoid the issue with yellow patches due to dogs wee?

03/08/2013 at 15:11

You have to dilute the dogs' urine immediately with a couple of cans of water, but won't solve the problem completely - the only way to do that is to keep your dogs to a restricted area for doing their business.

Sown lawns will not stand use whilst establishing, no.

Have you watered the lawn patches when you've put seed down? They are best covered with fleece and watered daily, and again, hve to be left alone to establish.

05/08/2013 at 20:14

thanks for your reply, how long do they take to establish?

05/08/2013 at 20:25

Whether you turf or whether you reseed the surface will be fragile and you can do permanent damage by using it too soon.  You and the dogs must keep off a returfed lawn for several weeks and much longer than that for a newly seeded lawn. 

05/08/2013 at 21:49

Can't offer much help on the first 2 questions but I have heard that adding tomato sauce to your dogs diet will help. Not actually tried this myself as my lawn is predominately weeds and I am hoping my dogs can earn their keep but killing off the weeds!

I would check with your vet before adding it to their diet tho just in case. What kind of dogs do you have?

05/08/2013 at 21:54

It's only bitches in season whose urine scorches lawns. 

06/08/2013 at 19:09

my dogs (23and 37 kg's) like to run and dig, and kick up big clods of grass after having a pee... the old dog used to think it was amusing to pluck clumps of grass out and shake them,  so without dividing the garden into mine and theirs, i was always on a loosing battle and the amount of mud tracked into the house was just getting silly last winter.

in desperation i eventually did a bit of a garden re-design. i put a stock fence around my lawn area and funneled the dogs up a brick pathway towards their part of the garden (which helps get the mud off their paws before they get to the back door.)

i also put a couple of gates in, so i can keep them off the lawn when they're out there unsupervised, but open both up if i'm out there working in the garden or entertaining... yes, we still have an uneven lawn... but we're gradually filling in the hollows, furrows and tunnels with soil and seed, and they are improving now they are not being constantly being vandalised my stock fence  it wouldn't win any design awards, but it was cheap and effective and  but now i know it works i can save up for nicer fencing or possibly plant a hedge.

watering and diluting pee patches seems to work well for me, and i used to be a two bitch household so there was plenty of potential for scorching, the most damage seems to be when we have visiting dogs and they all engage in a peeing competition. like shelly t, i wish it was as effective on the weeds as it is on the grass!

the dogs seem to be a bit more respectful of the lawn these days when they are on it, they no longer dig on my side, although they will occasionally drag a log down to chew on while having a sunbathe, they're getting the idea that hooliganism is to be kept to their own side of the fence.

06/08/2013 at 19:41

Tony

i would sugest tree bark, the mulch ror shrub borders.

Then the dogs could pee and play, 

and you would not have to find the time to mow it !!!!

A female dogs urine will scorch grass

i have read about DOG ROCKS Which are added to their drinking water

to stop the scorching!

win win

email image
8 messages