London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
21 to 36 of 36 messages
08/05/2013 at 21:20

Er... I chuck everything in whole, ranging from pizza delivery boxes to butternut squash and cabbages.  Husband always chops up stuff, but frankly I'm too lazy!

09/05/2013 at 13:58

MMP and others; centres of loo rolls and kitchen paper rolls, put in whole; again to bring air into heap so that it is aerobic (not slimy and anaerobic - lacking air) that is why one only puts small amounts of grass cuttings in, layered with something dry and airy.

For stirring my 'daleks' I use an arrow type tool that I got from Centre for Alternative Technology some years ago; works well, I believe other places online do them too.

09/05/2013 at 18:34

Fortunately the grass on our lawns is so sparse we are only able to put small amounts of grass cuttings into our compost bins .  Everything we buy from the Farm Shop (i.e. most of our food) comes in old fashioned brown paper bags - we put them in the compost along with the peelings and outer leaves etc.  We also are the happy recipients of donated guinea pig poo and bedding (based on newspaper pellets) and these, along with recycled beer and cider (as recommended by Bob Flowerdew) seems to produce jolly good compost 

Artjak - were you one of the Compost Masters at County Hall today?

09/05/2013 at 19:11

Sue as artjak says the idea is to create a bit of air as well so I would guess crumpling the paper would be the right idea, but art's done a course so just ask!!

09/05/2013 at 19:38

I don't particularly chop up bits before they go in the compost. I do put in shredded paper and some newspaper - try to stir the compost - but not that easy in the black dalek type we have ! However have just emptied one of our composters and wow what great compost it is !!! Also "found" a long lost kitchen gadget - litlle tweezer type tool that takes the stalks out of the strawberries !!! Wondered it had gone !! Have found long lost potato peelers in compost bins before !!

09/05/2013 at 19:39

Dove, you know I live nearly 60 miles from Norwich, so sadly, no, I wasn't. Next time you are passing by, leave me a message and drop in and tell me all about it.

09/05/2013 at 19:42

I just wondered whether they'd have paid you to go and impart your knowledge - but I ought to know better than that 

I wasn't there either - meetings all day. 

However, we might just take you up on that - I take my coffee black - no sugar 

09/05/2013 at 19:44

Sue6, just scrunch up the paper, see above, the idea is to get loads of air into the mix. Without air it is just a dank soggy smelly pile. I am no scientist, so cannot explain why, but the mix of air and green/wettish and brown/dryish vegetation (which includes paper - made from trees) makes 'black gold'; compost. The mix should be 50/50

09/05/2013 at 20:04

Oh Artjak, does that mean I have to measure stuff? I lob in stuff as it comes, sometimes chopped up if it looks a bit chunky...but I do mix it regularly, add some water if it looks dry, a sprinkling of dried chicken poo seems to help.

Maybe I ought to train Bloke to add his bit...but while we're on that point, is women's wee useless?

09/05/2013 at 23:01

Thanks artjak for the info re loo rolls ...........didn't think that would be ever a phrase that I used

10/05/2013 at 07:03

Apparently women's wee isn't useless, but male pee is less acidic and works better, if you have some readily available 

10/05/2013 at 10:09

figrat, I don't believe that female pee is in any way inferior as a compost accelerator to male pee Either way, some people think that it should be diluted. Also; if your compost is working for you then just carry on doing it intuitively; that is all I do.The 50/50 rule is worth remembering when the compost is NOT doing it's stuff, then we have the knowledge to rectify it.

A cautionary tale about compost; I have been hearing over the last couple of days about a chap in the next village who had a compost heap next to his wooden shed; he fed it with chicken manure, it over-heated, caught fire and his shed went up in flames with valuable tools in it. So we need to make sure that our compost heaps/bins are situated safely.

12/05/2013 at 11:52

Yep, chop up things and they compost quicker, what I would say is careful of citrus, I tend to put the odd orange peel in, but not like 12 oranges worth in one go. Reason being worms really don't like citrus, and as worms are the main guys who break down the rough stuff, it's sense to keep them onside.

12/05/2013 at 19:26

Someone asked about ash in compost; on the course I asked about this as I burn a mixture of coal and logs. The answer is;

Wood ash =good

Coal ash=bad

They did allow that I could have a very small amount of the mixed ash.

13/05/2013 at 00:55

It was me that asked about wood ash (I am burning all of the brambles I'm chopping out).  It's good that I can add wood ash.

Someone pointed out that coal ash makes a good barrier that slugs won't cross, I know if will eventually get into the soil, but in small amounts I can't see it being too much of a problem, especially in a flower garden where it has no chance of getting into the food chain.

13/05/2013 at 18:30

Personally I can't see a problem; my brother when aged about 2 used to eat coal and yellow laundry soap.

email image
21 to 36 of 36 messages