12 messages
04/05/2012 at 09:59

We need to buy a strimmer/edge trimmer to keep the grass down where it grows up against the raised beds (and at the moment up against skips in the front garden).  We won't need it to deal with brushwood or brambles thank goodness, but something that could cope with strimming new growth of ivy and nettles etc would be good.

Don't want a petrol one, electric on a lead will be fine.

I had one years ago but the line feed was a constant problem and anyway I can't remember what make it was.

Does anyone have any experience and recommendations, and also any makes to avoid like the plague?

Thanks 

04/05/2012 at 17:51

I have had a Black and Decker strimmer for years and it has worked really well. The line feed has been no problem at all, when it isn't cutting as it should I just have to give it a tap on the ground and this feeds out more line and cuts the old piece off. Brilliant!!

04/05/2012 at 18:24

Someone else said they were very happy with their Black and Decker, so that's really helpful - thanks 

05/05/2012 at 13:10

I wasn't able to get a Black & Decker locally, so took advice from chap working in the garden centre who happens to be a neighbour of ours.  I asked which brand got the least complaints from buyers and he said that he found the Flymo Power Trimmer had fewest complaints so I got that one.  He said I was to take it back if I had a problem with it.

Thanks for your help.

19/06/2012 at 06:24

Just thought I'd say that after having used it several times I'm very pleased with the Flymo - it's not as noisy as some, does the job well, is easy to use and if the cord does come unthreaded (it's done this once) it's very easy to sort out - a big improvement on strimmers I have in the past. 

03/09/2012 at 17:52

Bought the B & Q own brand and got it home and the screw was too small for the hole 

Took it back and the assistant said it was a bad design and I swopped it for a Bosch Art 26 Accutrim but I made a mistake and got the one with detachable wheels for edging which you may not need

http://www.bosch-pt.co.uk/boptocs2-uk/Garden+tools/Accessories+for+garden+tools/GB/en/aw/Grass+trimmers/169222/index.htm

Battery lasts at full power for about 20 - 25 minutes

Wear goggles and thick shoes and a carnation............last bit not needed !!

04/09/2012 at 08:06
NewBoy2 wrote (see)
.. Bosch Art 26 Accutrim .. Battery lasts at full power for about 20 - 25 minutes

I've used Bosch battery-powered strimmers for the past few years. I do a lot of strimming. I prefer the battery models because I have a lot of bits of grass a long way from the house, so battery models are far more convenient to use.

The Bosch does not use a line-feed. Personally, I find that a big advantage too. I have used line-feed strimmers in the past but have always encounted difficulties, eventually. The Bosch uses plastic blades instead. Some people have a problem with these because they will not cut through metal or hard objects; they break. But I haven't found that to be a problem, with reasonably careful use.

The battery life is limited - the performance does degrade after a couple of years use, and the battery will need replacing. But I still prefer this strimmer to any other, for my purposes.

04/09/2012 at 08:10

All the strimmer users do check for hedgehogs first don't you? Horrible injuries are caused to these little creatures by strimmers.

Thank you :- )

04/09/2012 at 08:14

... I've found that frogs are more likely to be hiding in wet grass.

They normally (always, I hope), hear the strimmer approaching, and flee ahead of it. You very often do see frogs jumping out of the way.

But you do always need to be careful and watch where you're going; not least to avoid damaging the strimmer blade or line on a hard object.

04/09/2012 at 10:15

I was thinking of gettting a strimmer myself for my allotment. As i travel by bike  i cant really cope with a petrol one but did think perhaps a battery one would do as i could bring the battrty home to charge. So thankyou from me for the advice. I always keep my side of the path clear usually on my hands and knees with some garden shears. I wish other people would do their bit.

04/09/2012 at 17:39

Very good point Gary. I always rake my longish grass carefully before mowing as I have maimed and killed a few frogs in the past.

05/09/2012 at 10:12

I havent seen any frogs at the allotment but i do have a resident toad who looks a bit like a leaf and nearly got put in the compost bin but jumped away at the last minute. I also have slow worms in another heap who i quite often see sunning themselves on top. So i will be very careful when strimming.

email image
12 messages