Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Electrics in a Greenhouse

Does anyone have electrics in their greenhouse, ie heaters and lighting? My greenhouse is about 20' from an outside power point. Has anyone run electrics through the garden flower borders?

• I have armoured cable running down both sides of the garden. One goes to the pond to supply power to the fountain and the other runs down to the new shed. Both above ground, fitted and signed off by a friend who is a part P electrician.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

Mine goes by an overhead cable to the garage from March. OH takes it down in winter. Gets in the farmer's way when he delivers hay.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Yes, the cable was run through an old hose pipe, buried around 8 inches down, through the lawn, under the hedge and through flower beds, to end up around 30 foot from the house, ending in a double socket.   The switch and box are indoors in the kitchen, and a hole was drilled in the wall for the cable to pass through.  It is buried deep enough that - so far - it has never been dug up or hit with a spade.  I don't dig my garden at all except for planting, and i know where the cable is.  This has now been in place for around 12 years, and works very well to date. 

• YviestevieYviestevie Posts: 7,066

We have armoured cable running to a water feature, it goes along the fence at ground level and then under the border through a plastic pipe.  We also have armoured cable that supplies power to several spotlights dotting around the garden to highlight planting.  We have a double outside electric socket  that has a cover to protect it from the weather and has a trip device inside the conservatory.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

I have armoured cable from the house to the garage and to a modern circuit breaker safety box. My greenhouse is a lean to on the garage wall so straight through the wall and connected to the heated sand bed plus a fan for heating or cooling. I have the plugs inside the garage as the safest way to operate and it has worked well for years.

Frank

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Hello Frank - good to see you image

We'd noticed you'd gone AWOL and were just a little bit anxious ...... image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• richhondacrichhondac Posts: 222
    It's best to use armoured cable in a ducting with some tiger tape a few inches above it to act as a reminder when your working in the garden. And use waterproof equipment to stop electrical shocks and fires I think it's ip66 rating
  • PalaisglidePalaisglide Posts: 3,414

Hello Dove, it has been a busy time and nothing happening in the garden so I backed off awhile. It could be a little while longer, the new kitchen is due to start Saturday, not looking forward to the upset. At least the weather here in the Northeast has picked up and suddenly there is fresh life showing, the interest picks up.

All is well otherwise passed out fit yesterday at the hospital, MOT fine, will get that card from King Charles probably?

Frank