London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
7 messages
11/11/2012 at 14:25

I had one small success with cuttings this year. 5 out of 7 box cuttings have rooted. Have I left it too late to take some from my variegated box or any other evergreen?

If so whats the technique and the looking after regime?

Also I bought a fuchsia for 50p. She may be 'Lady Boothby'. At the time of purchase there was just one (very) long shoot. Now all the side shoots are appearing and I'm thinking cuttings. Should I get on with it or wait til spring? My greenhouse isn't heated but they could come in the house if neccessary

11/11/2012 at 15:00

It is getting a bit late for cuttings-you could try rooting a couple of the fuschia in water but it is probably now best left till spring.

11/11/2012 at 15:22

Thanks, I will leave it I think. 

11/11/2012 at 17:02

Lady Boothby is a hardy Fuchsia - I have had a couple in the garden for 3 years now and they just pop back  Your plant will be better off inside this year - you say there was one long shoot - can I suggest you pinch the top out - if you haven't already done so that is   Cuttings will root really easily from the end of February onwards

Pam LL x

11/11/2012 at 17:07

Thanks lilylouise. The one shoot is at least 3 feet long, how far back should I take it?

I have put it inside for the winter.

I shall be looking for some more hardy ones for next year. I had thought that fuchsias weren't very hardy apart from magellenica, then I visited Wimpole Hall (NT) and saw rows and rows of them all living outside outside. Now I want some.

11/11/2012 at 17:16

They say that Lady Boothby is a climbing Fuchsia - if you would like it to grow very tall you could just tie it to a cane . If it was mine I would tie it to a cane and just pinch the top out- the side shoots should then be stronger and you will have more foliage to take cuttings from  Try not to overwater it - just keep it ticking over

Pam LL x

11/11/2012 at 17:20

I'll do that, thank you

email image
7 messages