London (change)
Today 13°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 12°C / 9°C
3 messages
16/04/2014 at 11:37

I've dug and raked my lawn ready for new turf next week. My father recommended spreading some fertilizer and raking it in before the turf goes down. Do you have any recommendations?

16/04/2014 at 12:57

I would if using an organic granular fertiliser......artificial ones tend to act quickly and temporarily having no effect on turf at all right now. Organic fertilisers take longer and by the time the turf is rooting into the soil the fertiliser will be available.....

19/04/2014 at 22:01

Please forgive me, Verdun.  I don't wish to offend you.  On the other hand, this is the beauty of forums such as this.  A good cross section of ideas and experiences are shared.

My answer to our friend's question would have to be NO.  I wouldn't even consider using bonemeal.  Nowadays, nurseries supplying turf, are having a field day. 'Scuse the pun.  At one time turf was cut and supplied, haveing a bit of age behind it.   Now due to supply and demand, and of course a quick financial turnover.  Turf is produced much like you and I would sow seeds in a tray.  So the point is.  Yes the grass side of the turve looks good and fresh.  The underside is still in a juvenile state.  Hence for the fresh young roots to begin their travels.  The last thing they need is such a change, that being various, kinds of growth enhancers etc.  I suggest.  Lay the turf, give it plenty of TLC.  In time give it a light cut.  Wait a while, then give it a gentle feed.  Wait and the cut.  By that time the roots should have mixed with the subsoil.  I hope this helps.

email image
3 messages