London (change)
Today 28°C / 18°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 17°C
7 messages
25/08/2013 at 21:04

Hi, I have got my first greenhouse being delivered next week and can’t wait there are so many things I would like to buy for it, but like most of us cost plays a big part of it and I was wondering what you would say the top 3 essentials were apart from some staging?

25/08/2013 at 21:26

A heater for winter, a solar powered light (assuming no electricity in greenhouse), a water source (or guttering around the greenhouse and a tank to collect that rainfall), a cloth for keeping the glass clean.

25/08/2013 at 21:29

a solar powered light, never thought of that one or the cloth for keeping the glass clean, neither of which are expensive, thank you blairs

25/08/2013 at 21:39

regarding heating do you just go for a paraffin heating or do you recommend fleece protection as well?

25/08/2013 at 22:29

A little paraffin heater works wonders at keeping the temperature up and doesn't need a lot of paraffin.

26/08/2013 at 11:59

I use a paraffin heater - does work a treat if tricky to get the wick size right, not too big to produce lots of black soot or too small that it burns out.

Solar lights are cheap, a shed one costs about £10 on amazon. Works even in winter.

The cloth is a good idea as the glass gets dirty all the time and it is suprising what a difference a clean pane makes in spring.

If you have anything tender then collect bubble wrap to place inside the greenhouse to keep the temperature level over the worst of winter. Remove in spring. I reuse the stuff found in packaging, though am sure the bubble wrap sold in shops might be different.

You could also try a greenhouse in a greenhouse - those cheap £10 plastic greenhouses (cheap staging!). That should give an additional 1-2C difference to plants in there in winter and is the difference to freezing and not!

26/08/2013 at 12:08

I really like that idea about the cheap staging and helping to keep things a bit warmer thank you

email image
7 messages