London (change)
Today 28°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 17°C
9 messages
02/10/2013 at 21:17

Hi, I'm very pleased to say that I'm the proud owner of my very first greenhouse and have been looking into getting a thermometer, but there are so many different ones on the market.. I don't know where to begin.. Any help and suggestions very much appreciated is it worth investing in one that costs 30 quid when I can get one for a few pounds.

02/10/2013 at 21:28

I'd get one of those weather centres that read temp and humidity and have a remote extension for the GH so you can see what the temperature is without going out there. Mine cost about a tenner from Aldi some years ago.

02/10/2013 at 21:32

I have a digital one (also a tenner) which does inside and outside temp (my GH is too far from the house to follow Nut's example). 

I wouldn't recommend a mercury min/max one, since both ones I have had get the marker mixed up with the mercury, which makes them useless.  I remember others on here (?Dove) having similar problems.

Have fun in your new GH - they are ACE !!

02/10/2013 at 21:53

I have a maximum minmum one which I think I got in Wilkinsons for a reasonable price quite a few years ago.

02/10/2013 at 22:36

I have a maximum minimum one which is invaluable, need to know how cold it was in the night and how hot it is during the day. Got it in a supermarket in France several years ago.

20/06/2014 at 20:50

I bought this nearly 18 months ago http://www.brannanshop.co.uk/digital-max-min-with-roof.html it came with batteries included and they have never ran out yet! I believe they do have analogue ones also and ones you can check from inside your home!

20/06/2014 at 20:53

I have max./min. one; about £10 on Amazon.

20/06/2014 at 21:35

I have a max/min one which I've had for donkeys. No probs with the mercury. If the mercury gets separated just put it in the freezer for a few hours.

23/06/2014 at 09:13

I tried to buy a traditional max min with mercury (like the one i have had for years) and apparently they are now banned for sale to the public in the UK according to my local garden centre!

email image
9 messages