12 messages
01/08/2013 at 14:18

I have some flag stones that I want to lay in the back corner of my garden to use as a concrete base for a wendy house. I am going to lift all the grass at the weekend and was planning on just flattening the soil then laying them on top but on searching for tips, i've been scared off this method due to movement when raining etc...

So, some sites say use sharp sand then some polythene liner to put the flags on, others say use cement and then sand.

Could someone please tell me the simplest way to do this that doesnt involve renting cement mixers and huge rubber mallets which I would be able to do single handedly in one day.

01/08/2013 at 14:20

sand is good, allows for a bit of movement and no cracking.

01/08/2013 at 14:29

so go with the sand and liner method do you think?

01/08/2013 at 14:38

i wouldn't use polythene inside or out of the greenhouse. You have to water and it needs somewhere to drain away. you could use a weedproof membrane that lets the water through

01/08/2013 at 14:53

its a wendy house, not a green house, just like a big shed.

01/08/2013 at 15:09

Are you on clay ade? If so you might be better putting a blob of mortar at the corner of each flag plus one in the middle, and then laying them directly onto the ground you've compacted. If it's a big wendy house you may need a bit more of a base first too - ie a few inches of compacted hard core. It really depends on the overall weight.

01/08/2013 at 15:22
adejones wrote (see)

its a wendy house, not a green house, just like a big shed.

my one track mind ade.  'house' must be preceded by 'green'

01/08/2013 at 15:32

Don't think it is clay no just grass then inches of soil...

Not too sure on the size of it but i think its around 2 metres squared, so quite big.

Will see what the ground is like when I lift the grass and then decide if i need cement or just a few inches of sharp sand.

01/08/2013 at 15:53

Hi Ade, Can I suggest that you use both. 2M sq is quite big and with youngsters bouncing around in your wendy house this can add to settlement. I would suggest: remove turf, complact ground, lay s/sand, compact, scrape level with long bit of wood, lay slabs, get kids to jump up and down on slabs, check for levelness, if ok build w/house. The better the preparation the longer it will last. Our neighbours built one on soil and thin sand and its frame broke after a year!

01/08/2013 at 16:04
Chris Trotman wrote (see)

Hi Ade, Can I suggest that you use both. 2M sq is quite big and with youngsters bouncing around in your wendy house this can add to settlement. I would suggest: remove turf, complact ground, lay s/sand, compact, scrape level with long bit of wood, lay slabs, get kids to jump up and down on slabs, check for levelness, if ok build w/house. The better the preparation the longer it will last.

Well said - exactly what I was going to write!

01/08/2013 at 17:09

Yes if it's that size - the better the base the better the result. I wouldn't skimp on it!

10/08/2013 at 00:31

If all your doing is putting flags down I'm not sure i would bother taking too much grass off, just enough to get your levels right, you want the wendyhouse to be above or level with the ground, the grass that's left will die back, If your going to dig it out, go 3-5inch, no plastic,you don't want to create a pond underneath, ram hardcore in to near surface level then lay the flags as Fairygirl says with blobs of mortar in each corner & the middle or a layer of sharp sand thats well trodden in & scraped flat with a level & a piece of wood.

email image
12 messages