London (change)
Today 26°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 27°C / 18°C
9 messages
19/05/2013 at 22:57

Bought one of the best bit of kit in a long time today.  A flaming weed gun! Fantastic.  Turn on gas, ignite and whoosh - obliterating weeds like no tomorrow.  I know I might not kill the roots and they might be back, but to clear a whole path in 5 minutes was great and satisfying.  Wish I had bought one years ago!

20/05/2013 at 07:10

lol I like you're thought processes there Tim. Weeds are a royal pain in the butt to put it politely. And its funny isn't it, that they just manage to be one of the most prolific growers in any garden! 

20/05/2013 at 07:34

Yes why is it that rabbits eat everything...but weeds!

Thought about getting one in the past but didn't know whether they'd be as good as I expected.

20/05/2013 at 08:06

Rabbits will eat weeds but they will eat everything else too.  If you chuck weeds in a rabbit run they will go to town on them, they are pretty good at munching grass if you remember to keep moving the run often enough.

20/05/2013 at 09:17

There are some weeds which the flame gun does not appear to have any effect on at all. Pearlwort, a flat growing needle leafed, tiny white flowered thing which takes over our path s will stay green even after 10 minutes of burning with the Weed wand. Weed killer has little effect on it either.

20/05/2013 at 09:59

Blooming heck!!  Expensive item.  I suppose it depends on how large an area the weeds are blighting. Can I borrow yours Tim?

20/05/2013 at 10:19

Weeds are plants that have evolved to be here in this place and climate, so it is hardly surprisng that they outgrow all the things we decide we want in our gardens, many of which don't originate from here at all.  Flame guns are fine as far as they go, which isn't far as you will discover, they don't deal with roots as you say, and do need gas which is envoronmentally unenchanting.  However, it does feel good for a while and that can be fun.  In the end you will need to get the roots of deeper weeds out, such as  dock and crouch, but meantime the path is clear. 

22/05/2013 at 18:36

Those weed burners are also really excellent for burning off several decades worth of paint on old wooden stairs - where nitromorse failed the weed burner prevailed!

22/05/2013 at 18:43

TT - Aldi has them in, I think they're around the £12 mark, they're also selling the refill canisters of gas (but *I think*), the refills are cheaper on amazon - as long as they have free postage on them.

So not as expensive as you'd think!

email image
9 messages