Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Fungi on cutttings

H

I take cuttings from rose and fruit trees and put them into a plastic bag with water in it for three to four weeks before transferrin. Unfortunately I loose a significant amount of cuttings due to fungi deveoping after second week. Is there a way to prevent this? I change the water once a week and try to wash the fungi on them but it is not helping

thanks

imageimage

• BiljeBilje Posts: 811

Mmmm it's not the way I'd start off those type of cuttings. I assume they are hard wood cuttings, and should be in a slit trench in the garden or planted deeply in a pot with gritty compost outdoors. Sorry I haven't time to find a web link but if you do a search for hardwood cuttings you should get more info.

some stem cuttings and soft wood cuttings can be rooted in water but that's a Spring summer job.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Totally agree with Bilje. Hardwood cuttings in a gritty slit trench is how I'd propagate those plants at this time of year. 

Last edited: 17 January 2018 21:47:21

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Thanks 

This approach works well with fig cuttings. My other cuttings are roses, peaches, grape and raspberrie. All are kept indoors where temperature is always above 18C

Should I be planting them outside directly instead?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Keeping cuttings in the warm and wet is providing the perfect conditions for moulds and fungi to develop, particularly in the autumn and winter.

Taking hardwood cuttings is the tried and tested method for propagating fruit bushes, roses and many other shrubs

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/how-to-take-hardwood-cuttings/ 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/how-to/grow-plants/taking-hardwood-cuttings/ 

Lots of info there image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.