London (change)
Today 15°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
14 messages
23/06/2012 at 15:04

I'm considering buying a coiled garden hose, as I'm very bad at keeping kinks out of the usual kind. Does anyone have advice on what to buy?

23/06/2012 at 17:04

Hi Maureen instead of buying a coiled hose try using an old tyre rim and coiling an ordinary hose around it - that ll keep the kinks out of it Works for us !

23/06/2012 at 17:56

I hate my coiled hose, it still develops kinks and I also manage to trip over it too. It does not seem to stretch very far and can never be left unattended as it seems to move all by itself.

23/06/2012 at 21:30

Hi, we used a (borrowed) coiled hose for a while & also found it easy to trip over & it didn't stretch as far as it should either.

When we bought our own new one last year we opted for one advertised as "non-kink," (has a stripe down it) - so far so good .   Strangely we haven't used it much lately........

23/06/2012 at 23:11

Thank you all for your helpful replies - it seems that coiled hoses are not the answer. I'd try the tyre rim, but as neither I nor my partner drive it may be hard to find one. I'll have a look for the non-kink variety, but as you say Jeannie, it really isn't urgent, I'm a born optimist however and the sun is bound to come out soon .

24/06/2012 at 12:17

Hi Maureen, coiled hoses are a nightmare. you don't have to be a driver to acquire a  tyre rim. Try your local motor garage or tyre dealer

24/06/2012 at 14:35

I bought a non kink one the year we moved to Belgium - 1991.  It has its own stand and reel and has only just started to kink a bit but then it is getting on and does get left out in all weathers including heavy winter frosts and snow when I forget to bring it in.

24/06/2012 at 15:51

Do those of you who have non-kink hoses have any recommendations? Does Hozelock do one?

25/06/2012 at 00:28

Cheap and cheerful.  Aldi's your best bet.

25/06/2012 at 10:02

Can't remember what make ours is; very likely Hozelock, it's bright green & has 2 narrower yellow stripes.

Why can't someone make the fittings "fit" - they all drip when in use  !!

25/06/2012 at 10:55

I agree Jeannie, they drip, or the sprayer shoots off and your feet get soaked.

26/06/2012 at 13:41

You can buy storage wheels which have a handle and make it easy to wind the hose up. Mine has a short length of hose with the tap connector on it, plugged into the wheel 'hub' which then has another connector onto which you plug the hose itself. Easier to use when the hose is warm and therefore pliable, but it does store it neatly and without kinks

26/06/2012 at 19:16

I wonder if it isn't about time we all stopped using hosepipes and tap water to water our gardens. We only have a hosepipe to top up the garden pond in the summer. Instead we have numerous water butts, not the expensive shop bought ones but acquired cheaply from farmers and the like, with a storage capacity of over 400 galllons of rainwater....and we intend to get more.I just think it's irresponsible in this day and age to use tap water for any other reasons than for what it is intended - drinking, cooking, and washing.

26/06/2012 at 19:58

@Paul N, I completely agree with you this is a great idea, sadly like lots of great ideas ( recycling, car sharing ) the practicalities are too complicated for the majority of people so it will never work. I live in  a new build house and although it is very warm it has no eco features that would have been easy to fit when it was built. It would have been so easy to fit an underground  tank for rainwater at the time plus solar panels etc. Until it becomes a legal requirement for all new houses to have these facilities included it will just be a great idea.

email image
14 messages