Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
14 messages
23/04/2012 at 14:00
23/04/2012 at 14:02
Out of print?
23/04/2012 at 14:02

Are you looking for recommendations?

23/04/2012 at 14:05
My apologies, for some reason my question hasn't come up. So here goes again. Could anybody suggest an excellent book that covers all plants including fruit and veg with advice on maintenance. Thanks guys. Jo
23/04/2012 at 14:22
The RHS Encyclopedia of Gardening is very comprehensive, but not cheap. Maybe you could order a copy through your local library. I've built up a gardening library over the years, as I'm sure have many other posters.
23/04/2012 at 14:31

Anything by Dr David Hessayon, Alan Tichmarsh has written books

-I would suggest a visit to the charity shop-you will be spoilt for choice

23/04/2012 at 14:39

i love Alan Titchmarsh gardening books as I dont find them intimidating. Some books make me feel like I am child playing at being a gardener!

23/04/2012 at 19:52
Thanks everyone.
23/04/2012 at 20:19

Dr David Hessayon books are fantastic, I picked up the flower expert for a £1 a couple of months ago. I know I will be using this book for years.

I also have  his house plant expert (so did my mother) follow his advice & you can't go far wrong.

24/04/2012 at 09:29

Many of my gardening books I buy from a charity shop in town. Terrific value for money as some of my books cost £39 new but bought them for £3 or £4. They always have Hessayon books in too.

30/04/2012 at 17:05

I don't think you'll find one book that will do it all in sufficient detail. I have the RHS Encyclopedia as well as their Dictionary of Plants and Flowers, which is my favourite book for ornamental plants, But for the edibles I turn most often to the Hessayon "Vegetables and Herb Expert" and "Fruit Expert", which are cheap, reliable and easy to use. I even have a spare copy of the fruit and veg one, which I keep in the shed.  I also like the Readers' Digest "Food From Your Garden" which includes sections on preparing and preserving fruit and veg. 

Second-hand books are fine but make sure they're relatively modern. Old books won't include the best new plants, varieties and materials, and may recommend the use of chemicals that are now banned and unavailable.

30/04/2012 at 22:24
I picked up readers digest 1001 hints and tips for the garden a couple of months back from a charity shop for 2 pounds. It's got just enough info not to boggle you and let you look on the internet if you do need to know more. Top book for beginners but if your fingers are well and truly green it might be a little simplistic.
01/05/2012 at 10:16
Thanks for all the tips. As I live in the Netherlands I can't rely on charity shops as they don't have anywhere near as many here as they do in the UK, however, I can get free delivery from Amazon so I shall keep an eye out for your recommendations. I've recently moved into a house with a huge established garden and I just want to try and identify all the plants as well as start a veggie garden.
01/05/2012 at 13:25

Im a fruit and veg grower and use the book  "Food from your garden" Readers' Digest like Green Magpie. Its quite old but i think its the best, here is the like on amazon  

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Food-Garden-Preserve-Fruit-Vegetables/dp/0276001702  

email image
14 messages