Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Gauntlet recommendations, please

As many of you already know, I am fighting a battle with Brambles at the minute, there is a temporary truce as the weather is so bad, but come the sunshine I need to go back on the offensive with them.  I was wondering what pruning gloves/gauntlets you can recommend.  I tried some from Amazon, but they were ade for ladies that have pencils for fingers, I couldn't get my fingers in one hand, and the other one hurt to bend them, so they got sent back.

I have tried on some 'tough touch' ones, they were a bit snug, but when I went to buy them they were out of stock.

I am female, and not huge (my ring finger is size L, so not massive), my fingers are short and stubby (no piano lessons for me!), so it was a bit of a shock to find some ladies' gauntlets that were too small.

What to other people use, or am I better off getting waterskiing gloves, armoured hockey gloves, chain or plate mail? Any recommendations to make sure I am not wounded in action!

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,817

I have thick but soft leather gatdening gloves and a very old fleece jacket with elasticated wrists between the 2 I survived. Can't say the same for my nose thoughimage

went around for days with large scratches across it

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190
    I have found that an ordinary pair of heavy duty rubbers gloves from the supermarket work just as well, I am doing the same as you with bramble, for years my dad has cut them down and just left them laying, I have no trouble with the tougher rubbers.
    Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

The best pair of gloves I ever had for gardening were an old pair of M&S leather gloves. They fitted, which is more then even quite expensive gardening gloves do. Sadly they did not last long as the leather was too fine/fragile to deal with hard work.

In my experience, the only glove that protects against thorns is a leather one. For longevity it has to be the heavy duty leather of a gardening glove. This kind of leather does not make a well fitting glove.image

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

Hi. For brambles - of which I have a LOT - I used the readily available Briers green gauntlets. They're not a brilliant fit but bramble-hacking is not a very precise art. Like Bjay, it's my face that suffers! Perhaps a visor is in order image

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

I love my Gold Leaf/Tough touch ones - bit expensive, but my first pair survived 5 years of pretty hard work.  Just got a replacement pair for Mothers Day - one from each daughter ! 

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,841

Welder's gauntlets are very useful for brambles - good thick leather, cheap and they cover most of your forearms too. Try motor factors or screwfix.com. You can really get a grip on bramble stems and rip them out roots and all with gloves like these.

• I too have the Gold Leaf Tough Touch ones - I'm 1.75m tall with long fingers and they fit me fine. And they are so elegant - look fab with my old donkey jacket! A recommendation from me ! image

• I'd not thought of using Welding gloves, I might have a go with some, as I can probably put my little gardening gloves on underneath!  OH can use them, too, when I've finished with them, when he needs to weld bits back on to my land rover!

Had a look on Amazon (thanks for the link, Derek), and they are a LOT cheaper than gardening gloves.

I'm sure my neighbours-to-be must think I'm a bit bonkers, my current outfit consists of Safety Wellies, jodpurs, t-shirt and fleece, facemask & goggles when I'm spraying glyphosate, and all topped off with a bandana to keep the hair out of my face.  Especially when I stroll across the road with a pair of loppers in one hand and my dustbin burner in the other!  It certainly makes my current next door neighbour giggle, especially if he's coming back from the pub at the time!

Thanks to everyone who has suggested things, need to get another thrifty tip published then I can afford the RHS recommended ones.

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

I used leather motorcycle gauntlets for brambles, probably not a cheap option if you don't have any already though. Totally bramble proof though