London (change)
Today 18°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 10°C
15 messages
KEF
31/03/2014 at 16:05

We want to buy a glass cutter suitable for GH glass has anyone bought one and would recommend it? Thanks KEF.

Edd
31/03/2014 at 16:14

£2.49 Wilco is all you need. I use it all the time. The secret is to have squeaky clean glass and break over match sticks.

Regards

Edd.

KEF
31/03/2014 at 18:28

Thanks for info' Edd I thought we'd need to get something mega for re-inforced glass.

31/03/2014 at 18:37

flymo

31/03/2014 at 18:41

KEF, is your glass horticultural grade or the re-inforced stuff? You may need to get the re-inforced stuff cut professionally. Hopefully someone here will let you know.

KEF
31/03/2014 at 18:42

Archie do you mean Flymo do a glass cutter? or are you teasing me ? Flymo grass cutter  If teasing hope your weekend curry is a Korma

31/03/2014 at 18:48

noooooooooooh not korma

KEF
31/03/2014 at 18:57

Think I've mislead folks it's horticultural glass.

I've the chance of a replacement GH for my rotted wooden one, overgrown with ivy  but structure is sound, lots of broken pains, and need to hire a van. It couldn't be easy could it ?  it's one that is wider at base than top and I thought maybe glass from old one could be cut down to size.

Still deciding if worth effort to "dig it out" remove all the ivy to skip and pay van hire etc..bit hard to say no as OH  friend's Mum's and she wants rid, but don't want donkey work to find it a wreck..does look promising but a funny size. 7' wide, 7' 6" length, 5' at lowest height.

KEF
31/03/2014 at 18:59
archiepem wrote (see)

noooooooooooh not korma

Plus a side order of tikka masala

Edd
01/04/2014 at 08:23

What do you mean by reinforced glass? Is it Toughened glass or laminated? 

If toughened, then you cannot cut it, even with a diamond blade or laser cutter.Toughened breaks into small non hazardous cubes at the slightest scratch.

if its laminated glass then it is a sheet of glass, sheet of "plastic" sheet of glass, bit like a sandwich, only you wouldn't want to eat it. This can be cut with the above tool but you have to cut both sides of the glass and then cut through the plastic with a razor blade. Three cuts in all for one pane of glass.

Regards

Edd.

01/04/2014 at 08:38

As far as I'm aware, horticultural glass is just about the cheapest available.  If, as you say, some panes are broken, it ain't toughened or laminated.   An ordinary steel-wheel glass cutter should do the job.  What Edd sedd.

KEF
01/04/2014 at 08:48

Thanks for replies Edd & Steve it must be horticultural glass. Will be having a trip to Wilko.

Don't know why I said re-inforced, senior moment or daft.

06/07/2014 at 19:58

Hi , If you have to cut old ,secondhand glass , be sure you have more than enough glass,dont be afraid to braek some ,then my experience is: the more You are unsure  the more you will braek .

06/07/2014 at 21:23

I agree with phlox - old glass is a PITA to cut due to stresses that build up over time.  Old horticultural glass is dangerous stuff to handle, too, so do take great care KEF.

06/07/2014 at 22:25
Diamond. Glass can so often be likened to people. Old glass. The oldies. Please try and captivate the reallity and the humour. Oldies, full and at times overloaded with knowledge etc. Catch them at the wrong moment and. Whey ho. They will explode. Just the same as a pane of glass. Glass, especially old glass. It can become very tough and also brittle at times. How, why? to be honest I don't know. What I have learned is, and I hope no do gooders wil shout me down. Some very strange things happen with glass. Let's skip the science etc. But as many may have found. To cut a pane of glass takes skill. Add to this, to cut old glass. However steady your hand might be. Reaching breaking point. That straight line suddenly bursts into a spiders web. Tip. Old panes of glass. Thoroughly clean them. Then keep them in a close enviroment for a few days. Then place upon a firm base. Take just one strike/stroke of the cutter. Bend and break. Please try and avoid constant scribing with the glass cutter.
email image
15 messages