Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Going to try the theory of 2 cuts a week

Right, I want my lawn to thicken up, and try and get rid of the weeds in it. So, I've just spread my fertiliser and moss killer, (well at start of week day before it's piddled down) and now I'm going to religously cut the lawn twice a week. I shall use lawn fertiliser every 6 weeks and see whether the increased cutting really does encourage the grass. I shall report back throughout the season.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Don't cut th egrass too short or in a drought period.  This weakens the plants and thus the roots and good grass stems grow from healthy roots.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

The most important thing for vigour is not how often you mow the lawn, but the height the blades are set at. You should not remove more than one third of the aveage height of the blades of grass, as this can seriously weaken its vigour and encourage diseases. 

What you don't want to do is to let the grass get quite long and then cut it with the blades set low (tempting as this is for a busy person) as this will reduce the vigour.. 

in your situation I would keep the blades reasonably high, so that there is a lot of leaf for photosynthesis, and cut as often as you want for appearance, probably twice a week in spring and early autumn, once a week in summer when the grass is growing a lot more slowly. 

• WodufinWodufin Posts: 18

Verduns advice is spot-on, and pretty much what I did at our old house, where the lawn was my only gardening interest. image I turned both the front and back lawns from 80% moss-infested green things into lush well kept lawns. A good website with very good lawn advice is lawnsmith, which has advice from basic through to expert, depending how deep you want to go.

The best advice I rhink upping your cutting height and also splitting your feed and weed. I'd 'weed' once a year in April with Verdone, and then feed a couple of times a year. The weed and feeds do put a little bit of stress on the lawn and if it's pretty weed free, then it's best not to stress it at all. Feed the lawn to out-compete the weedsimage

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I'm finding all this advice very useful; the lawn, to me, is the least interesting part of the garden and though it is tiny, I ought to pay it more (educated) attention.image

• I agree with Wodufin re raising the cutting height... stronger grass, less moss and greener.

• BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 460

usually, lawn is biggest part of garden, so if it looks good, everything can feed off it.

• BrummieBenBrummieBen Posts: 460

with all this rain, and the fertiliser the lawn is shooting up, loathe to cut yet, want to give the weed killer chance to work in. Thinking I'll leave for a full two weeks then take top third, then a week later take down to half. Anyone think that is the best way to go?

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

Keep it simple.  Cut it regularly when weather and time permit and keep it a decent length to allow it to grow strongly and thickly as this is what will keep weeds down.

Grass doesn't plan.  It just grows when there's enough warmth and moisture so, as with all things gardening, go with the flow of the weather and seasons rather than a set prescription and timetable.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato