Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Good nice looking water butt advice?

Can anyone recommend a nice looking water butt that I can install on my patio?

I’m new to saving water in the garden and want something I don’t have to hide away.

Ideally it will have to be between 100 and 200 litres storage capacity.

Something eye catching/modern would be nice…. Not sure where to start

• Hi Gardener 1980

I needed a good looking water butt for my front garden. I have got a150L Moroccan Beehive Water Butt and its just the job. Many a person has been fooled into thinking it is genuine terracotta when i know its not. Do your home work on pricing.

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

http://www.waterbuttsdirect.co.uk/decorative.htm

Have a look at the water butts on this site,you may find something to suit.

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Have you explored what your water supplier has to offer?  Wickes sell cheap water diverters to fit in your down-pipes.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Check on Amazon, big selection, much cheaper than waterbuttsdirect!

• When it comes to diverters, cheap is not always the best. Some are really inefficient and a lot of the water diappears down the drain anyway. As you may guess, I am an avid collector of rainwater and survive each year with only the rainwater that I collect. (At least the garden does, not me personally!) 

• archiepemarchiepem Posts: 1,155

i use recycle bins . at the back of the summer house 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Aren't I the lucky one, the Wickes ones are cheap and efficient!

• I would have a word with john here http://www.oaktubs.com/product_info.php?pid=7 see what he can make for you. I recently got him to make me a half barrel with tap in it for another purpose. I'm sure he'll be able to make a good looking oak water butt.

• Thank you for all your advice, ive put some time in to looking at the links posted alongside a little bit of my own reseach online. Waterbutts direct have a good selection. Spotted a nice looking one called Rainwater Terrace but there is a waiting list at the moment so i have my name down and hopefully will hear something soon.

Fingers crossed. image

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I know you don't want to hide it away as such, but if all else fails you could screen it with trellis or similar and disguise it with pots and containers which you can change throughout the year. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...