6 messages
12/04/2013 at 14:15

I've been learning that a thin layer of stone chippings is good for keeping seedlings from damping off keeping the pots from drying.

is granite chippings ok for this and what else should i be using them for?

12/04/2013 at 14:27

granite chippings sounds to me as though they may be a little large for the purpose, I'm not sure of their size - which does matter I think in this case... 

I use horticultural grit which seems to work very well.   I buy small bags of it from the 'pound' shop, or is it 'QD' I can never remember

my tomato seedlings are doing very well covered with this..

of course the garden centres have more choice and larger bags which may be more economical,  and we should be supporting them.... plus you also need a person with muscles to lift them....

12/04/2013 at 14:47

they are reasonably small

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/21966.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

here is a window box i just made up.

12/04/2013 at 15:25

..oh that look's ok..

12/04/2013 at 16:18

Thank you very much

14/05/2014 at 10:06

I mix up very small granite chippings with multi-purpose compost instead of using horticultural grit as its so expensive. I sell a few thousand plants so it makes a difference but this year my seeds have hardly germinated and seedlings really struggling. Does anyone know if granite chippings contains something the plants don't like?

email image
6 messages