London (change)
Today 28°C / 20°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 17°C
19 messages
18/01/2014 at 15:50
I already have a base which is concrete for my new greenhouse, however I have seen some pictures with gravel on the GH floor and have read a thread from last year re a new base. With me already having a base, will that be suitable as it is or would I be better putting gravel down on top of it. What purpose does it serve exactly (I think it may hold more moisture for in the summer when (hopefully) it's hot but not sure?? Thanks in advance and apologies for another silly question!!
KEF
18/01/2014 at 15:55

Tracey I don't see the need to put gravel on a concrete floor. Will be much easier to sweep and disinfect a concrete base.

18/01/2014 at 15:57
Thanks KEF, nice simple answer, just what I need with GH and gardening overload in my brain ha ha!!
AWB
18/01/2014 at 16:18

I use grow bag plastic trays filled with gravel.works very well.

18/01/2014 at 17:12
AWB, sorry I'm not sure what you mean, can you get trays that you put grow bags in and you put gravel in them? If so why, what purpose does the gravel have, I don't understand that bit. Thanks.
AWB
18/01/2014 at 17:24

There are trays which are the right size for growbags. Do not use a growbags. Fill tray with gravel and add water. Stand terracotta pots in tray,waters plant and creates humidity in the summer months

18/01/2014 at 17:43
Ah right, I see now. Thanks.
KEF
18/01/2014 at 17:45

AWB that would be a good idea for cucumbers. I put trays of water in my cucumber GH.

18/01/2014 at 18:10

KEF I'm on a mission next week to lay my GH base but I'm having soil beds and not concreting the hole base But on one side I may lay some slabs for Cucumbers and Peppers. On GW one of the last one's of 2013 Monty said to add plastic to create a different climate if you do as you say add gravel to growbag trays and grow your cucumbers in the grow bags would you still add the plastic 

Clueless

KEF
18/01/2014 at 18:23

Can I get back to you tomoz' James ?

18/01/2014 at 18:28

That's ok KEF

KEF
19/01/2014 at 07:58

Clueless do you mean to put plastic on top of the soil and then lay flags? Or flags with plastic on?

I think the first would suppress any weeds etc. and would retain any water that drains from the pots and flags.

For cucumbers that would be good as they like humidity but not having their feet constantly wet. So I don't think 2nd option a good idea.

However if you grow tomatoes I believe they don't like the humidity, I only cause that when I damp down the floor to reduce temperature in hot conditions.

I am lucky that I have 2 GH's both standing on flags. I grow cucumbers on their own. Don't use growbags I put them in big buckets, I put  drip trays of water in the GH each day, and mist the air. Also shade them as I find they don't like direct sun. Others might disagree with my method but I always get good cucumbers.

I've only grown toms & cucumbers together once and neither did all that well. Could have been the weather or many things.

Having typed all the above, I wonder if you meant to use plastic to partition part of GH to try and keep conditions different in each half ??    If so I'm not sure how effective it would be.

Hope others saw the Monty programme and can help you more.

19/01/2014 at 09:05

Yes KEF after typing all that it is the last one I'm after advice for PARTITION the green house off so I can have different growing conditions one for the tomatoes and humidity for the cucumbers I may even buy a pop up green house to put inside the glass greenhouse and slabs for a base what do you think

Sorry Tracey I didn't mean to steal your thread

Clueless

KEF
19/01/2014 at 09:10

I think the cumbers would cook

Think maybe a good idea to start a new thread about partition, others must have done it and can advise.

19/01/2014 at 09:25

Thank you KEF

I will start a new thread when I'm up and running of to B&Q for materials for base

Clueless

KEF
19/01/2014 at 09:45

Clueless, I might be too late, you might have gone to B & Q.

Just wondered if you knew someone 60+ who has a 10% discount card for Wednesday's ? So you'd get your stuff a bit cheaper.

19/01/2014 at 10:20
No worries Clueless, I really am clueless so all chat helps me. I will have to grow my toms and cucumbers together though so will just need to see how I get on, wish I could have 2 greenhouses............
KEF
19/01/2014 at 10:23

Tracey, have a look at the thread  Query..about toms & cumbers.  On page 1.

19/01/2014 at 10:29
I can't find it, is it in Tools and techniques? Edit......found it!
email image
19 messages