Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Great looking secateurs

In this weeks AT britains best back gardens there was man with a rose garden and he was using some great looking secateurs that hold onto what you are cutting after you cut something

Sorry that's sounds bit double Dutch! What I mean is for example you cut a rose stem and it doesn't fall to the ground or you don't need to hold the stem with other your hand it remains  held in the secateurs after the cut

I have never seen them before and really want them! image

Please can someone tell me correct name for them as I don't even know what to search on

Thank you xx

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

Oh cheers Ed and thank you for pic of AT too! Yes I recognised the pinK shirt image

• Felco 100, same as 11 but with the grippers! I got mine on amazon, not massive cutting diameter but great for roses

• Beaus MumBeaus Mum Posts: 3,554

That's great thank you RC I'm gonna place my order now image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

I have Felco secateurs, not that sort but ordinary ones. They are the best I've ever had. Those cut and hold ones look great.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

I saw that too. It looked like magic!!

• Can anyone say how they would find these useful?

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

On the telly box it showed the chap pruning with one hand instead of trying to reach into the thorny bed with two hands. He sort of carried the pruned bit away without it touching anything. 

Youd have to try and see it because my description isn't great! image

• Joe, useful when cutting thorny or prickly material to save handling. I'm not overly impressed with Felcos, I think they are widely recommended because home gardeners tend to be quite conservative and stick with what some old bloke said.

They are a bit small.

The catches catch, except when you want them to catch

There isn;t much insulation on the handles, being aluminium - an excellent thermal conductor they will draw heat from one's hands.

They don't have much capacity. 

They are overpriced

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 24,023

But they cut better than any others that I've tried.

Dordogne and Norfolk. Clay in Dordogne, sandy in Norfolk.
  • It sounds as if they would be of limited use to a professional gardener.