London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
13 messages
02/10/2013 at 12:56

I would like my husband to tailor make a green house for me and need your suggestions to hopefully get it right first time.

dimensions;

length 6' (183cm)

depth 2' (60cm)

height 5' (152cm)

The depth could be deeper but I assume I'll loose light for plants at the back.

The height may need a rethink as I've not taken opening clearance into consideration.

shelves:

I intend to ask for 3 shelves, wooden slats, which will be height adjustable, the bottom shelf will be in 3 sections so I can put a heater in the middle but keep a shelf either side. (not sure yet about what size the heater will need to be or is available??)

openings:

one or two split in 2 at the top ???

front opening doors, but ideally a design which may maintain space in front such as sliding doors??

glazing

not sure what to ask for here, glass, plastic, double glazing ???

Other:

i've only had a plastic portable type greenhouse before so any ideas would be really welcome ... what have I missed???

Thank you.

02/10/2013 at 16:49

Make sure where ever you site it it will not be shaded by surrounding trees, Good foundations are also important.

02/10/2013 at 16:54

Thanks daintiness, planning to put it on the decking, there is a rhus tree next to it but the 'other side' of the sun. It will replace the old plastic one, seems a good position for sun so far.

02/10/2013 at 17:12

make it as big as you can 

tthis is my new one

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/32033.jpg?width=204&height=350&mode=max

02/10/2013 at 19:27

Little-ann what time of the day did you take this photo.

I only ask because there is no sun on your lovely greenhouse but I can see sun on the fence?

what size is your green house it looks like 10x8 ?

James

02/10/2013 at 19:31

MrsG don't for get opening for a vent so you can vent it to move the air around one at the top and one at the bottom with out opening the doors also 2' is a bit small to get into to clean the glass inside and out 

James

02/10/2013 at 20:11

hi james its 8x14  it replaces a 6x8, it dosnt look very sunny in the picture but of course its lower in the sky at this time of year, in summer it will be in sun all day so have automatic openers on the four double roof vents and two louvres.

it was a big decision but so glad i went for it ( and yes i know how lucky i am)

the picture was taken at 11.15 

03/10/2013 at 07:01

Little Ann - wow, thats something to aspire to! I don't think I'd have space left for any garden!

Clueless - Thanks, I hadn't thought about a vent, OH really liked that idea as well.

03/10/2013 at 17:50
A few notes to self, from other threads,

And start collecting saving sheets of discarded polystyrene now - it'll be useful in the winter to insulate the coldframe if you're over-wintering tender plants
03/10/2013 at 17:53

based it around 3 of the really large seed trays you can get.

03/10/2013 at 18:04

furthe notes to self (or to OH) ...

I saved some secondary glazing units which were made redundant by double glazing

The top is stuff you can buy cut to size at B&Q/Homebase, and you can also buy the white trim to finish the edges.  The hole has been drilled so that I can stick in a bamboo cane to stop the lid blowing shut (sophisticated !!) - I am sure there are lots more things you coud do to allow it to be open half way

twinwall polycarbonate sheet (10mm thick by the look of yours) and it's important to put those end trims on otherwise spiders etc get inside the 'tubes' and you can never clean them out. 

22/11/2013 at 08:54

Can someone tell me the pros and cons of glass v polycarbonate greenhouses - we are looking to buy a new one about 6x10 or 6x12. Site is not windy, there are no kids to break glass etc.

22/11/2013 at 10:45

I have a wooden greenhouse with polycarbonate glazing. It is warmer than a metal frame and glass glazed greenhouse. You can hang things like insulation directly onto wooden frames. Polycarbonate as double glazed offers better insulation in winter and as the glazing is slightly opaque, you get the light but not full on glaze that glass offers.

Size depends on what you want to grow. I plant to dig down in my GH to get extra height and that also offers extra insulation.

email image
13 messages