London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 10°C
10 messages
31/03/2013 at 11:35

I have about 50 seedtrays of flower seedlings, ( Livingstone Daisy, Dahlia,Antirrhinum, Coleus, Pansy, Sweet william, Petunia, Aubrieta  I also have about 50 seed trays that are germinating very well but not ready. These have been kept in my south facing dining room.

I want to harden the seedlings that are ready in plastic greenhouse(it is south facing against a brick wall and well tied down ). but unsure if it is too cold to leave them in there at night.

I had them in there all day yesterday and brought them in at 6pm overnight...wondering when i can leave them all day and night in plastic greenhouse. ill try add some photos. This time last year I had 2 plastic greenhouses full of seedlings and it was alot warmer at night, its been so cold. I live in Northern Ireland.

Ive uploaded some photos hope they work . many thanks

31/03/2013 at 11:37

You need to prick these out first-then you harden them off-new seedlings are tender creatures- any shock will killl them

31/03/2013 at 11:40

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20780.jpg?width=235&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/20781.jpg?width=235&height=350&mode=max

sorry here are the photos

31/03/2013 at 11:47
sotongeoff wrote (see)

You need to prick these out first-then you harden them off-new seedlings are tender creatures- any shock will killl them

Hi Sotongeoff, hope I have quoted you properly, sorry I am a newbie to this forum

thankyou for your reply I muast ask you.. I usually keep them in seedtrays( cell trays like in my photo) and some are sown in pots, actually anything I can get my hands on...(just because I ran out of seed trays) and then when they have spent ages in greenhouse and are hardened off properly..I transfere them to their final home in a display pot or boarder, I use individual cell trays so they are not over crowded...I have only ever pricked out if the plant needs more room...eek so i have just been very lucky then...

31/03/2013 at 12:20

Hi

From you pics they will not need pricking out- but are still a bit small to go outside yet- outside daytime -inside at night is the way to go for the next few weeks

This is always the awkward time of of year

31/03/2013 at 12:51

As they are in individual seeds they will probably not need pricking out. When they are large enough [ filling the cell ] they should be able to be planted out.

They are far to small to dgo into the greenhouse yet. Sub zero night time forecasts all this week.

31/03/2013 at 13:07

Think you doing the right thing re hardening them off slowly. I have seen quite a few seedlings outside in my cold frames, but they are in a very sheltered spot and have been outside before this very cold weather.

31/03/2013 at 17:14

Thankyou VERY much everyone, I really appreciate your time and replies. I have over 100 seed trays(I know..blame it on letting of stress from work)..and am terrified to kill them all. I have 3 walk in greenhouses , all unheated and it has been soo cold here at nights (I live coastal area Northern Ireland) .

Ok so i will let them get alot bigger before i let them stay out over night. When they fill the cell (Thankyou Punkdoc) .

happy Easter all xxx

01/04/2013 at 11:40

Why do they need pricking out when they are already growing in individual cells ?

02/04/2013 at 17:07
nodlisab wrote (see)

Why do they need pricking out when they are already growing in individual cells ?

Hi there. I have never pricked out (unless I have accidently dropped more than one seed per cell and i prick out to give room). i leave them in their individual cells, i even harden them in there too, only time I transplant is when they are going to their final destination to display. so far never had a prob x

email image
10 messages