Start a new thread
Wendy treehugger

I have about 50 seedtrays of flower seedlings, ( Livingstone Daisy, Dahlia,Antirrhinum, Coleus, Pansy, Sweet william, Petunia, Aubrieta  I also have about 50 seed trays that are germinating very well but not ready. These have been kept in my south facing dining room.

I want to harden the seedlings that are ready in plastic greenhouse(it is south facing against a brick wall and well tied down ). but unsure if it is too cold to leave them in there at night.

I had them in there all day yesterday and brought them in at 6pm overnight...wondering when i can leave them all day and night in plastic greenhouse. ill try add some photos. This time last year I had 2 plastic greenhouses full of seedlings and it was alot warmer at night, its been so cold. I live in Northern Ireland.

Ive uploaded some photos hope they work . many thanks

sotongeoff

You need to prick these out first-then you harden them off-new seedlings are tender creatures- any shock will killl them

Wendy treehugger
sotongeoff wrote (see)

You need to prick these out first-then you harden them off-new seedlings are tender creatures- any shock will killl them

Hi Sotongeoff, hope I have quoted you properly, sorry I am a newbie to this forum

thankyou for your reply I muast ask you.. I usually keep them in seedtrays( cell trays like in my photo) and some are sown in pots, actually anything I can get my hands on...(just because I ran out of seed trays) and then when they have spent ages in greenhouse and are hardened off properly..I transfere them to their final home in a display pot or boarder, I use individual cell trays so they are not over crowded...I have only ever pricked out if the plant needs more room...eek so i have just been very lucky then...

sotongeoff

Hi

From you pics they will not need pricking out- but are still a bit small to go outside yet- outside daytime -inside at night is the way to go for the next few weeks

This is always the awkward time of of year

Advertisement

punkdoc

As they are in individual seeds they will probably not need pricking out. When they are large enough [ filling the cell ] they should be able to be planted out.

They are far to small to dgo into the greenhouse yet. Sub zero night time forecasts all this week.

hollie hock

Think you doing the right thing re hardening them off slowly. I have seen quite a few seedlings outside in my cold frames, but they are in a very sheltered spot and have been outside before this very cold weather.

Wendy treehugger

Thankyou VERY much everyone, I really appreciate your time and replies. I have over 100 seed trays(I know..blame it on letting of stress from work)..and am terrified to kill them all. I have 3 walk in greenhouses , all unheated and it has been soo cold here at nights (I live coastal area Northern Ireland) .

Ok so i will let them get alot bigger before i let them stay out over night. When they fill the cell (Thankyou Punkdoc) .

happy Easter all xxx

nodlisab

Why do they need pricking out when they are already growing in individual cells ?

Wendy treehugger
nodlisab wrote (see)

Why do they need pricking out when they are already growing in individual cells ?

Hi there. I have never pricked out (unless I have accidently dropped more than one seed per cell and i prick out to give room). i leave them in their individual cells, i even harden them in there too, only time I transplant is when they are going to their final destination to display. so far never had a prob x