Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Have I ruined my Osmanthus Burkwoodii?

Hello,

I hadn't pruned our Osmanthus since we moved in 4 years ago. It did its thing, grew and flowered really well until it became too big and its branches started to flop as they weren't supported as they became heavier and bigger. I then decided to cut it back quite considerably as the passionflower was growing all over it and becoming too messy. I couldn't train or control either so had to do something about it. I'm just worried that it will not grow back as literally only the 2 main stems were left and if it does, that it will take a while until it grows back to a reasonable size again.

I think we've got a very well established plant so not sure if I did the right thing.

Thank you!

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

I agree with ChrisseB. They are slow growing and a good feed wont do any harm, look for new growth - good sign. image

I've just been browing the problem solving thread and saw reference to  osmanthus there may be more reassurance from those comments.

• BizzieBBizzieB Posts: 885

Reading on an unrelated site that liquid feed is good for larger shrubs after pruning. Recommends a weekly feed as the plant will take up nutrients more quickly than slow release fertilisers.

I'm sure others will respond with helpful and reassuring advice.

• SinasciSinasci Posts: 2
    Thanks C and B that's very reassuring. I was looking at photos of our garden 4 years ago, and I can see that it did expand quite a bit during that time but I think it might take another 2 years for it return to its full glory. I will feed it weekly with a liquid fertilizer as suggested and wait, that's all I can do for now. But I feel reassured so thanks! I'll find something else to cover it up in the meantime!