Forum home Tools and techniques
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

HEATED PROPOGATOR

I have recently inherited a heated propogator which has no instructions on how to use. It has a square of fabric(capillary matting?) included and I was wondering if this needs to be wetted before placing cuttings, seed trays etc inside or do they go direct onto the prop bottom?

Thanks.

• Does it have any label, maker's name or model number on it, Madeleine?

If not, please upload a photo as there's a good chance someone here will recognise it.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I'd look for any label with a maker, / model then google it. I've found instruction manuals for all sorts of things on google.

Devon.

It's a Sankey one. I have looked underneath and found an information website but it "cannot be found". I did wonder if perhaps the fabric is just for packaging.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Mine had fabric like that, long since rotted, it is part of the propagator. I use newspaper now. It holds moisture and keeps the atmosphere damp so good if that's what's required. I don't use a propagator much so can't offer a lot of advice.

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • It looks like a Sankey Growarm 300 Propagator Kit. If so, that is definitely capillary matting.   Nice bit of kit with the temperature control. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • It looks like a Sankey Growarm 300 as it has two vents.  It appears that you're not the only one without an instruction leaflet 

http://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/united-kingdom/169702-sankey-gro-warm-300-a.html 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Looking for a propagator if anybody not using one.

• Mine has no temperature control facility.  You seem to either use it unplugged or turned on. 

Yes I still am unable to find instructions and gardening books only seem to touch the surface of the subject when talking about propagating.

More questions - sorry

1)  matting - do I need to re-wet it if it dries out?

2)  Should I wipe off any build up of moisture hanging from the lid?  

3)  When do I open the vents?  Is it when seed packet instructions say "remove lid"? 

Also how long do I keep seedlings in there after they have germinated.  I only have an unheated greenhouse (I am thinking of putting the plastic covers on the cheap  shelf units I have in there to provided some snugness instead of bubble wrapping the whole inside)   I should imagine that when any seeds have germinated, to whip the lids off and expose them to cold unheated greenhouse/conservatory air would kill them at this time of year.

Sorry about this

• chickychicky Posts: 10,409

Madeleine - i can only answer for what i do ( but it seems to workimage) :

don't wipe off the moisture - the humidity seems to help

once you have a good lot germinated open the vents, but keep the lid on for a couple of days.

mine then go to an inside windowsill for a couple of weeks.

then to an unheated GH, but i run out every night frost is forecast to cover them with clear plastic lids, which i then remove in the morning.

Nor sure about re-wetting of capillary matting - my system doesn't have such sophisticationimage

• Thanks chicky

Just typed a load and then zapped it away by mistakeimage  so here I go again

I was thinking of trying a few flower seeds which state on pkt can be sown in Feb. Doing as you say and opening vents of HP for a few days when germinated, I wondered if it might work if I then transferred  them to unheated greenhouse, and place them on shelves with the zipped up plastic covers on they originally came with to keep them warmer out there and also cover the trays with lids .That way it might take away any excess cold.

OH doesn't like trays on windowsills and besides, things used to get so leggy

Would that be feasible do you think?