London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
4 messages
14/08/2012 at 10:39

Hi there

I have access to some fresh horse manure. I was thinking of spreading it over my veg plots after I remove crops and just turning it in lightly (to stop my dog rolling in it!) then digging it in next Spring. Would this be ok or should I leave the manure in a pile? I think I read somewhere that horse manure is highly acidic and shouldn't be used immediately. If so how long do I have to wait - any advice about the the best way to make use of it would be very welcome.

14/08/2012 at 10:46

Leave it for at least 6 months to rot down before digging it in-cover it with a tarpaulin or something to keep the dog away and deter the flies

Digging it in now is going to causes all sorts of problems

14/08/2012 at 11:32

Horse manure needs to rot down as it contains all kinds of seeds and things that will flourish if put on the ground now. My Son with the farm and horses has an ongoing heap with fresh droppings going on the front end and the manure now well rotted at the back is two years old soft dark crumbly in the hand and sweet smelling.
Mixed with loam or compost it is lovely stuff though most gets spread on the paddocks when they are resting, I pinch the odd sack.

Frank.

14/08/2012 at 15:10

Ah, good job I haven't already done it then! Thanks to sotongeoff and Palaisglide disaster has been averted.

email image
4 messages