12 messages
06/04/2014 at 22:02

Hi,

I seem to keep getting leaflets for hot composters at the moment.  Anyone use them? Any good?

Cheers

08/04/2014 at 06:47

"Bump"

no views?

08/04/2014 at 07:28

no idea what they are, sorry. Not ignoring you , but just haven't heard of them.

08/04/2014 at 07:54

They are insulated composters that if you get the right mix, heat up and make compost within 1 month.  Take cooked food waste as well as raw and garden.  Wondering if they work as well as it sounds.

if I get one, I'll have to let you all know how it goes!

08/04/2014 at 07:54

PS thanks, hostafan. My other thread needs bumping too so was starting to get paranoid!

08/04/2014 at 07:56

Hey, I've written so much on my own thread, its become a hot topic!!!

08/04/2014 at 08:29

saw an ad was interested can't afford now but interested to hear reviews

08/04/2014 at 08:42

Hi Supernoodle, try this thread, hope it helps, a few others come up on the forum when you search 'hot compost' as well.

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/tools-and-techniques/hot-composting/267882.html

08/04/2014 at 09:24

You could line your compost bin with sheets of expanded polystyrene. That would keep the heat in better. I use a an old compost bag on top of my heap. Some use pieces of old carpet. Anything that keeps the heat in will help it to decompose faster.

08/04/2014 at 11:18

I took part in a Master Composters stand at The Norfolk Show last year. We had a hot composter; the chap from the Council set it up and within 24 hours it was operating at the correct temperature, we know this as he put temperature sensors into the middle of the container; the thermometer that comes with the system only really measures the temperature on the inside of the lid.

I was very impressed by the system, it is fairly new and they are making improvements to it all the time.

Some neighbours of mine were thinking of getting one as they don't feel the Council's system for collecting kitchen waste is very hygenic, but I had to advise them against it as they are away for 3 months each winter and they would probably have to start the system up again each time they come back and I can't see them being organised enough or having the time to do that.

But for anyone els, I would recommend it.

08/04/2014 at 12:47

Think I'll put one on my wishlist.  They are not cheap so it'll be a while til I get one and by then they may have improved even further.

Good idea with the polystyrene.  I'm setting up a couple of new heaps so will do that.  Interesting to see what temp I can get with polystyrene and carpet topping. 

Edd
09/04/2014 at 00:05

Supernoodle. please do not wait for your wish list. try one on your wrist strap!!!! 

What artjak says is sooo! true. Unless you have a super insulated wheelie bin or a huge council recycle depo, then. You have every chance of creating a hot bin to compost and kill seeds. 

Sorry, but who told you that you could not make compost!!! Was it someone that wants to sell it to you.

Stick to artjak advise and if you need to insulate your compost bin for the winter then ask again. 

If you want fast compost try vermicomposting. 

Again artjak will (point you in the right direction.)

regards Edd.

PS. This is you area artjak

Just ask if you?

Well you and i know, you know. Keep spreading the word. 

KIND,KIND,KIND. Regards

is it only us that know????

email image
12 messages